The Money Jungle (Duke, Mingus, & Roach)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by fclefgeoff, Apr 11, 2003.

1. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    OK, I love this album and listen to it ALOT. So the other day I'm in my favorite neighborhood record store and I see that has been remixed, remastered, and re-released in 2002. Well, immediately I think "Great!", as I have always felt that from a quality stand point the mix and recording just plain suck. However, I want to know if anyone here has heard the new "RE RE" version and can comment on how it sounds compared to the old CD version. Is it worth shelling out another $15 for it?
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I can't say that I know, but it's a favorite album of mine, so I'm interested in following this thread for an answer.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I understand it has two more alternate takes. I always thought the sound was OK...maybe because the music was so good I didn't notice :D

Personally, I'd save my $15, however here's the spiel from All Music Guide:

"Even if you already own the earlier, nearly complete CD, it is well worth investing in this expanded 24-bit version, but don't be surprised if it is made obsolete by a later expanded edition with additional unreleased alternate takes, rehearsals, breakdowns, and studio discussions."
  4. I've got the '87 Blue Note version of it (w/ 2 bonus/alternate takes). I haven't heard the original vinyl mix, so I can't say for sure what that sounds like, but the mix on the cd is pretty good I think.

A fine album to be sure.
  5. I've got the 2002 Blue Note version with four alternate takes. This is the only version I've heard so I can't say if it's markedly better than the '87 version but it does sound great.
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I haven't heard the new masters neither, but this is one of my prefered albums ever.
    Pure fluent geniuses in action.

Actually, I quoted it 10 minutes ago in the "most influencial record" thread. :)