Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Monster Cable guarantee

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by secretdonkey, May 3, 2004.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well, since the other Monster Cable thread has turned into the usual Springer-show circus, maybe I'll try a separate thread.

Anyway, about the oft-cited Monster Cable guarantee: I've read posts from numerous TBers citing some magical, no-questions-asked guarantee for Monster Cables. If one ever fails, just bring it back to the store. They'll replace it with an identical cord -- no questions asked, no receipt or documentation required.

I happen to have one monster cable, and it just so happens to be in a crapped-out state, due to a bit of accidental trauma. I casually asked at the music store where I bought it about some kind of lifetime guarantee and they just shrugged and said they knew of no such offer.

Monster Cable's own website alludes to no such offer, either. Just a very general and generic "materials and workmanship" warranty: http://www.monstercable.com/warranty/warranty_mc.asp

So, convince me that this isn't some kind of inside joke, designed to pull the collective legs of naïve TBers like me.
    ;)

2. I do believe the Planet Waves cables come with a lifetime guarantee, though :)

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    its true i have had one replaced. i think the cheaper monster cables dont come with that guarantee but i know the 500 series do.

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    http://www.monstercable.com/pro_audio/instrument_cables.asp

I see no references to special guarantees/warranties on 500 or 1000 series cables. Sorry, not a believer yet! Nice try at doing your part to further the big conspiracy, but I'm not gonna be fooled anymore!!! :D ;)

My crapped-out cable is a 500-series. I'm going to need a little more before I march back into my music store, slap it on the counter and say, "Some people on the internet told me that you HAVE to give me a new one."

;)

5. I had bought a few Monster cables for no other reason than the warranty that had been explained to me (you can use it to hitch your boat to your car and return it). I just got off the phone with Interstate Music (a different store from where I purchased my cables) and they reiterated that for me, (actually, he said you can cut the cables in half yourself and you just have to bring it in- short of losing the cable you can get a new one- and he confirmed the boat hitch spiel as well), all Monster cables have the all inclusive lifetime warranty.

Unless, of course, many people across the country and around the world, including the folks who do sell and replace these cables on a daily basis are actually wrong... :(

6. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I've had two Monster Cables replaced at no cost dealing direct. No questions asked.

Have you tried contacting them by phone ?

7. Contact Us
    Email customerservice@interstatemusic.com

Web www.interstatemusic.com

Telephone Order toll free: (877) 213-2580
    Toll free fax: (800) 529-0382

Phone Hours (Central Time)
    Monday - Thursday: 7:00 am - 9:00 pm
    Friday: 7:00 am - 8:00 pm
    Saturday: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
    Sunday: Closed

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Warranty info from the MC website, linked in original post:

Copy of email sent to interstate music [edit: copy also submitted through MC custserv. contact page]:

I'll share any reply I receive in this thread.

:)

9. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    When I bought mine this week I asked several questions about sound improvment, etc. and the replacement warranty. My contact told me "This is the last cable you will have to buy." "If you tow your car with it and break it, bring both ends to us and we will replace it." I buy stuff their frequently and know they stand behind what they sell. That claim is pretty far fetched but I know they will make it good.

10. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    "Monster Cable warrants that for lifetime from date of purchase, it will repair or at its option replace without charge any cable that proves to be defective in materials or workmanship. Please see your InvisiSound in-wall speaker manual or Monster Speaker Selector manual for specific warranty details for non-cable products. Retain sales slip or proof of purchase. "

Right from the website.

11. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    followed by "Warranty does not include malfunction caused by accident, misuse, contact with solvent chemicals or malfunction caused by other audio equipment. "

Right from the website.

12. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Someone else posted that quote earlier. I used to use Monster Cable and never had a problem with the store replaceing them for free. Not that I had very many go bad on me, but a few did. However, they had a different policy at the time. They would have replaced the cable no matter what happened to it. The above statement is a type of disclaimer used by many different companies as a loophole. For example , if the solder joint breaks, they can always claim "misuse". ( And yes , they will exercise that option !)

13. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    got mine replaced after ruining it due to accident. i wasnt using straplocks and my bass went crashing to the floor. luckily the cable took the hit and not my bass. anyhow one of the ends was partially cut through exposing the wire. took it to GC to get replaced and replace it they did. no questions asked. theres no conspiracy other than the idea that they may refurbish returned cables to be sold as new. stop wasting your time on the internet and take your cable back and get a new one! :oops: ;)

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Monsters can't be any worse than the over-hyped GeorgeL's. The only place I can use the GeorgeL's that I bought like a fool is at home.....so I can replace the few I bought when they crap-out.

Monsters, which are so severely overpriced, couldn't be any worse, IME.

As for me - heavy gauge, top-end, ProCo's have never let me down. Upper-end ProCo's are cymbal-proof (when the drummer drops the cymbal while they're setting up their kit)..... http://www.procosound.com/prod04.htm

15. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I don't know about them replacing an abused cable...

(Although such a guarantee is not unheard of.
    Craftsman/Sears has had a "Break it? We'll replace it free"
    on all their tools for decades.)

...but I've had to replace only 2 defective Monsters over the years.
    1. At the old Mars. They did it with a smile. No questions asked.
    2. Guitar Center. At first the typically ignorant GC counter person,
    in so many words, said I was nuts and wouldn't do it.
    When the manager was brought into it, he said I was absolutely
    right (about the MC guarantee), chewed out the counter guy for being so rude
    (..and dumb. Counter guy was not happy.), and made him get me my cable.:D

16. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The store where I bought it (they're good folks and I'm a good customer, if I must say so myself), says that the Monsters have no magic warranty. Tried that one!

:)

17. just say it crapped out and it wasnt your fault and get it over with, theres no magic warranty in writing anywhere. there probly was a magic warranty at one point but they stopped writing it everywhere due to money being lost or something who knows.

18. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    i dont get it... you should be able to get a new one! take ot to gc they will take it back.

19. ive replaced mine twice, i did have the receipt as a proof of purchase(sorry im just a legal freak). i even replaced it at different stores! bought it at a local music shop, they didn't have the same model. so i went to guitar center and they replaced it with the local music shop receipt. the cable is great, but the warrenty is even better.

20. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I guess I've been very lucky to have been using my 21 ft Bass 500 cable since 1994 with no failures to speak of. The only thing that has happened is that the right angle plugs' tip unscrewed a bit from the rest of the plug. :(

Thought that was it for that Monster Cable, but I screwed the tip back in nice and tight and haven't had any problems since. :D

As far as I'm concerned, any cable that can give 10 years of service and still be going strong has more than paid me back for what I spent on it.

With a track record like that, I'll gladly pay for a new series 500 MC (if and when) and start another 10 year cycle all over again! :bassist: