the moral dilemma of a weakling [warning: SX content]

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jomahu, Nov 15, 2005.

1. jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    i love my SX SJB-75C 5 String, but it is very very heavy for me (i'm 5'3").
    i've tried a number of straps that alleviate some of the weight, but after an hour or so into a gig, i have to sit down, which seems to be a downer on the band.

should i stick with it or cut my losses and invest in something lighter and less mammoth?

and if there was any doubt - yes, i am a weakling. :scowl:
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    An uncomfortable bass will never get comfortable, no matter how much of a bargain it was. Cut your losses.
  3. matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Cut your losses. I went from a P-bass to Ibanez to alleviate hand and shoulder problems due to the weight. Played those for 15 years until I discovered the Reverend Rumblefish. If you don't want to end up sitting, get something lighter.
  4. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Did you try a comfort strap? I just bought a somewhat heavy (10lbs.) bass and it helps.
  5. jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    yes, and it did help some, but the bass still bugs as time goes on. sigh, i really love that bass.

thanks y'all. and on an unrelated note, anyone in the market for a SX SJB-75C 5 String? :p
  6. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    How heavy is the SX?
  7. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Don't those basses come with chrome? Take of the chrome bridge and pickup covers. Should take away some of the weight.

P.S. - Grow. :smug:
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Cheezwiz speaks wisdom.
  9. jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    11lbs, according to Rondo's website.
  10. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

For what it's worth ...

I am 6'3"/225 and I bought the same bass two weeks ago. After 2 days, I returned it because it was too heavy.

Granted, I am 44 years old with a bad back, but I still don't believe that anyone should play/keep an instrument that is too heavy to play comfortably.

I know all about the various "comfort strap" technologies out there but I also know that there are numerous basses that weigh less than the 11-12 pounds of the SX SJB-75C. (And no, taking off the chrome hardware does not make a significant difference. This bass is made of Ash ... NOT Swamp Ash ... and that's what makes it so heavy.)

Find something more comfortable and don't look back!
  11. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I heard that US Masters basses are quite light
  12. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Here's a simple and free thing you can try if you have more than one strap: Try two, one over each shoulder, to distribute the weight. If it seems like that helps, you can then invest an any of the various load-shifting gizmos like the Bass Brace or the various "X"- or "Y"- shaped straps.

I had to resort to the two-strap trick this Spring when I wrenched my left shoulder doing yard work and had band practice the next day. Worked so well that I decided I didn't care if it looked geeky, and I've stayed with it ever since.

Good luck with it, no matter which way you go.

P.S. CAUTION: This worked for me because I have Dunlops on my bass, and there's plenty of height to the pins for the second strap. If you have regular strap buttons, be VERY careful the outer strap doesn't slip off -- it's probably going to want to. Only do this long enough to determine if it's going to help, then move on to something safer.
  13. Just get a WIDE (4" at least) strap. I have a 10 lb jazz bass and I just deal with it cause I like the sound. However, my P-bass only weighs about 8 lbs so I can play it all day with a 2" strap and call it good. I'm 6'1, 200, 18yo so that probably makes a difference.
  14. chasfr

Jan 4, 2005
    While I agree that you should find an instrument that you're comfortable with, you might also consider building up your muscles a bit if you love your SX and want to keep it. See if a few weeks in the weight room (with proper instruction etc., etc.) don't make a difference.
    :hyper: :hyper:

Good luck!
  15. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Cut your losses and get a lighter and better bass. Look at Ibanez, Peavey and Yamaha for affordable basses that don't weigh a tonne. If you can afford more then there are even more options that would allow you to play a Jazz copy if that is what you are seeking.

Remember you can have all the basses you can afford but you only get one back and it costs more than you will ever have in gear to fix it.
  16. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Get a lighter bass, or call Rondo and see if they have a lighter one on the shelf and buy that one, sell the old one.

I had the P-bass of my dreams, best neck I ever played, and sounded phenominal...but it weighed 11.5 lbs. Being 18 years old, standing at 5'7" it still killed me, and im in pretty good shape. Cut your losses, I did.
  17. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I'm getting rid of a Warwick Thumb 5 for precisely this reason, and I am most definitely not a weakling. If the thing is uncomfortable, it's uncomfortable. Fortunately, there are a hideous amount of basses to choose from these days, you should be able to find one you like that doesn't leave you aching.
  18. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Go SX Short Scale? :p
  19. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    My son has an SX jazz, & I find it to be ridiculously light...
  20. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

He probably has one of the "Standard" SX Jazz basses:

They are a different animal than the SX SJB-75C:

Different wood (Alder vs. Ash), different weight.