Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The more self discipline one has the more successful.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by XIbanez4lifeX, Feb 9, 2006.

1. XIbanez4lifeX

XIbanez4lifeX

Nov 15, 2005
    Ohio,USA
    a person will be in reaching thier goal??

agree or disagree?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    agree....

-Mike

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    In general, I agree, although there's more to success than discipline.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Agree with hollowman

5. Agree. Probably more directly correlated to success than anything.

6. theLimeyBrit

theLimeyBrit Used Register

Feb 3, 2006
    Longview, TX
    Agree- it's the whole 10% inspiration / 90% perspiration thing.

I'm trying to get a business off the ground and also recently started trying to teach myself bass, and I'm acutely aware of how true this is in both cases.

7. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I generally agree. The success stories I see in life are from people who knew what they want, sacrificed and worked diligently toward their goal. However, there also seems to be a common thread where they get a break at some point by being at the right place at the right time.

8. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Within reason, that works. The Goal has to be achievable. No matter the effort, if my goal is to run a sub 9.0 sec 100 meters, it ain't happenin'. I can, however, through hard work and discpline, improve my sprint times.

The corporate / job world doesn't always reward hard work and discipline. It's not a bad place to start, though.

9. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    So true. And what do we discipline?

Someone who practices scales 10 hours a day is certainly disciplined.... but what will they get from that?

It's not that I'm putting down the disciplined thing... but I have known a good number of people that were very rigid about what they were doing and I think that when we think of 'discipline' we have to get away from a 'nose to the grindstone' kind of thinking and remember that to be successful, we have to have a goal. How dedicated we are to reaching that goal, in other words, what are we willing to sacrifice to reach that goal, is the most important thing.

Goals change. And I would be willilng to say that most people we think of as successful have gotten to that place by reaching a series of goals. Some of those goals may not have been apparent to them as they started. For instance, how many of you have started playing bass with the goal of being in a certain kind of band, only to find out that some study of theory was important? Maybe the goal to be in a certain band or kind of band turned out to not be as important as just having a gig, and having a gig meant learning some other skills, like singing or bandleading or whatever was needed.

I think that central to discipline and goal reaching is a personal understanding of what it is we are about. Is it music, or is it bass playing that is most important? Is performing live or recording? Is it fame or just being able to pay the bills with our music skills? Or maybe just having a quiet place to play bass by ourselves at the end of the day.

Reaching a goal takes discipline... and through that discipline we can be successful. But it should always be OUR goals and OUR measure of success.

10. I agree 100%.

I believe that discipline and perseverance can many times get one further in life than intelligence without discipline.

And discipline, especially when it comes to younger people having it and not giving into peer pressure (drinking, drugs) can save your life!

Wax on, wax off. ;)

Mike

11. + 1

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree , perserverence does seem to be the key at times.

13. Agreed. I live by perserverence. I try to live a disciplined life, but I know I'm not succeeding... Once I get out of high school, and out on my own is when I'll truly be able to test myself.

-ryan-

14. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Unfortunetly this is the way my brain likes to work. It's very frsotrating especially with school. It's not that I have no perserverance or disipline at all it's that it's very selective. I only keep going at things I care about.

15. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    "Nose to the grindstone" is all well and good, but I much prefer to use the "seat of my pants" method of success. If something good happens, go with it.

Of course, I may not be the most ambitious person in the world. So long as I can live a comfortable life surrounded by people who I get along with, then things are going pretty good in my books. If you judge success by contentedness, then I kick all kinds of ass.

On the other hand, if you measure of success in a more material way, then my heart weeps for you, even though you're likely a better person than me.

-Nate

16. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    5 a : control gained by enforcing obedience or order b : orderly or prescribed conduct or pattern of behavior c : self control

I'm not sure how necessary discipline is in reaching a goal. I'm incredibly undisciplined as far as the above definitions go - yet I've achieved a whole lot of goals I set out to achieve. Then again, perhaps I'd achieve even more if I were more disciplined :) - who's to say?

I think commitment and focus are more important than discipline. Discipline reaks of schedules, time management, and sacrifice to me. If I'm comitted and focused on something I'm going to do whatever I need to do to succeed and it doesn't matter if I'm cramming at 4 in the morning or if my life is organized and I have a great deal of control over the way I manage what I do.