Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The more than mediocre squier?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Velocimaniac, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    Ok, I've got this squier and I heard from many a person that squiers were good for starting out but not very good at all tonally. "They just aren't high quality basses" I was told. Well, certainly not for only $120 or so. But I think mine is quite higher than the average squier. It's stock everything, even the strings still, and after developing an ear for tone on my own I realized that it didn't sound half bad. I get compliments every now and then(from adults and people my age alike, all musicians) about how good it sounds for a squier. The treble is a little scratchy but the bass end of the tone control is warm and solid. It won't go out of tune without some work. In fact, it was only slightly out of tune after I took a 2 week break for my wriststo recuperate. I only have to tune it every week or so. I get in about 8 hours of playing a week, give or take 2. It had light buzz at first and the neck was a little bent forward but I set it up myself and after that it was perfect. I haven't had to adjust the neck in 5 months. Did I just get lucky, or are squiers better than their general reputation?

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Don't be told what you're allowed to like! If it works for you, then it's good. And don't let anyone tell you differently. Play the squire and be proud!

Personally I think you will grow out of it as your ear develops. I have an old squier lying around and it does'nt sound anywhere near as good as my other basses.

I bought a Epiphone (poor man's Gibson) guitar to play around with and I really like it - but none of my guitarist mates will play it. Seems their guitar ears are more developed than mine.

3. Hey, my Squier don't sound half bad either. What model is yours? Perhaps it's one of the old Japanese Squier's?

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    On inspection, it is indeed Japanese. The build quality is actually pretty good, especially for the price.

I'm not bagging squire, it's all about personal preference after all.

5. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I have an Indonesian Squire and I love it. I'm sure at some point i will grow out of it but right now it is perfect for me.

6. I've played a Japanese Squire. These basses ARE AWESOME!!!

I think they have american hardware, Japanese pups, and of course the wood from Japan.. (or wherever it comes from!!).

If you want to know how perfect it is for you, go to the local music store and pick a MIA Fender, or Warwick..... :D

(HD's edit - substituted "Japanese" for another term considered to be a slur...)

7. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    No, mine's a newer indonesian one.

8. aleyman

aleyman Guest

Nov 1, 2002
    PA
    How do I find out if mines not American? Its a Squier Affinity P-Bass. I guess it dosn't matter where its from, im just curious.

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The MIJ Squire instruments are fabulous! They were very high quality basses, with a great tone. A lot of these instruments are better in build and sound than American Fenders today. I would definitely hold on to it!

10. aleyman, I'm not to sure how you can find out with your squire, but have a look under the logo 'Squire', there's normally the 'made in...' under the logo's on headstocks.. :)

11. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Since I can not afford those high end basses this one is perfect for me. My perfect bass is one I can afford, play comfortably, and it must have working electronics (unless it is acoustic). You get the idea.

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I've played an Affinity P-bass. In a GC. I wouldn't feel bad gigging with one. Not as a regular bass, though.

The problem is not so much the electronics as the hardware. I have been told the tuners give out after a while.

13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I've played some, they are pretty decent basses.