The Most Amicable Split

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Feb 7, 2006.

1. I've just been witness to the most amicable band split I've ever been a part of. Usually there's some sort of personality conflict or clash of opinions or money or something... The lead singer of my band decided that music is what he wants to do with his life. He's a great songwriter, a good guitarist, a decent singer... He wants a band of musicians that will be able to drop what they've got going to do whatever shows/tours come up at any given time. Ten or fifteen years ago, that would've been me. But I'm old, I've got a family, I've got a job that I've got 16 years seniority in (and frankly, I'm completely lucky to have). I play music these days because I love doing it. I don't want to chase the rainbow of being a 'rockstar' anymore. I'm really comfortable in knowing that I'm doing what I'm doing because I want to do it, not for a potential payoff. The drummer and the keyboard player are pretty much in the same boat as me.

I wish Jerry the best- I just can't be "that guy."

I don't think I've ever posted the band's stuff on forums, so I'll spam the band, and hope you guys enjoy the music.
  2. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Sorry to hear that Dave , but glad that it was a good split. So what is the band going to do? Is just the singer leaving?
  3. Hey Vegaas!

There's talk of a few things. The entire band, singer included, are probably going to do a cover band thing to raise some money to properly release a combination of the stuff that I posted and the stuff that was recorded a year and a half ago that still isn't finished...

After that, Pete the drummer and I will probably be doing something, and probably with Rob the keyboard player. If you're not busy, we'll either need a bass player or guitar player... :D
  4. Hey,

Don't know whether to congratulate or console you, Dave, but whatever works!

My first band just sorta...well...stopped. No one said "it's over", no one quit the band in a hissy fit or got fired or anything at all really. We just stopped being a band one day, without really knowing....

5. I've enjoyed playing with the guys, I'm not upset or happy, right now. If I don't get a project off the ground in a few months I'll be bummed!

The band I was playing guitar with did that "fizzle out" thing. It might start up again, it might not. It's been 6 months since we've been in the same room- but it's an issue of 4 guys being busy in their "personal" lives and other bands than an issue of the band "stopping."
  6. By the way, the band's one claim to 'almost fame' is the song "Super Satellite" was nominated for "Independent Single Of The Year" in 1993 by the LA Music Awards...

For whatever that's worth...