1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The most and the least versatile bands of all time.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I think this thread is going to be over in the first post, right here.

Most versatile, IMO is Queen, hands down.

Bhemian Rhapsody
    Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon
    Ogre Battle
    My Best Friend
    Another One Bites the Dust
    '39
    The Show Must Go On

And that's just a quick sampling.

I know ya'll gonna say the Beatles, but if you don't know a lot of Queen's catalog, it's not really fair. Beatles probably had the most versatile hits, but I put them in a very 2nd place. A very close 2nd place.

-----------------------------------------------------

Least versatile the first group that comes to mind is Aerosmith, but then the Ramones popped into my head. I think they grab the trophy on this one.

------------------------------------------------------

So to recap.

Most versatile: Queen
    Least versatile: Ramones

2. i enjoy 2 of the 4 bands you mentioned

3. don't know about the LEAST, but for the MOST....

have to say PRIMUS -- when they don't suck...

followed by Joe Bonamassa

davesignatureII-1.

4. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Least: AC/DC.

Most: Agreed with Queen.

5. aborgman

aborgman Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Ypsilanti, MI 48197

Most versatile: Queen, Beatles, Yo La Tengo, They Might Be Giants, Leftover Salmon, Grateful Dead

Least versatile:
    Ramones, AC/DC, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Nickleback, Linkin Park

6. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    This

7. I don't know if Queen is the most versatile or not, but at the moment I can't think of anyone more so. So you're right that if they're not at the top they are at least very near the top.

As far as least versatile, I'm going to go with "The Fray." When I saw them open for U2 I swear they played the same song 7 times in a row.

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I'm trying to think if I'd consider RHCP versatile or not. Opinions?

9. this is quickly turning into bands i like bands i hate

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Music related. That goes in Miscellaneous, I'll move it there now.

Watch the closing door.

11. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Least Versatile: Korn

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Dunno I agree with that. Just because a band isn't versatile doesn't mean they're bad at all. It just means they do one thing REALLY well. ACDC comes to mind for me. While they aren't my favorite band, I do like them a lot.

13. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

For me.... Beatles have to be #1 because when they did changed it was followed by almost the entire industry! The might Zep would be 2 as they played so many genres you could classify them or each album a different way, followed by Queen. You would also have to put the various reincarnations of Neil Youg in there too.
    Great Thread so far!

14. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    Most versatile=Ween. They have some albums (e.g. "White Pepper") in which each song sounds like it was done by a different band. Even their all-country album sounds like ten different country bands from a variety of eras. Honorable mention goes to Tom Waits.

Least versatile=for the sake of variety in the conversation, I'll say Coldplay, just because they haven't been mentioned yet. They seem to just keep doing the same piano-driven, big chorus, heartfelt treacle, power ballad over and over again. Nothing wrong with the if-it-ain't-broke way of doing things , I guess, but for me that just means that I only need their first album, then I'm disinterested.

15. They have hits songs that are rocking funk and others that are ballads. That sounds like versatility to me.

16. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Considering who they have backed up, I think the most versatile band has to be the World's Most Dangerous Band:
    Paul Shaffer - Keyboard
    Sid McGinnis - Guitar
    Will Lee - Bass
    Anton Fig - Drums

17. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    They Might Be Giants and Ween definitely, very talented and creative people they are.

18. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Most: Beatles
    Least: Jan & Dean

19. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    A couple bands that I'd throw in the least versatile discussion would be Cake and the long since defunct Soul Coughing.

Both have a very distinct sound and vocal limitations that mean they never stray far from their comfort zone, though I do dig Cake quite a bit.

Most versatile?

Beck is billed as a solo artist, but he certainly genre hops as much as anyone else.

Faith No More did a ton of different stuff. I definitely agree with the Beatles and Queen.

20. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Really cool thread because, there are bands that I really like who are not very versatile. AC/DC comes to mind here. Very cool tunes, but pretty similar to one another.

I have to agree that Queen is right up there with the most versatile bands of all time. Hard to think of too many bands that fall into that same category as the music industry works pretty diligently to keep bands genre specific.