1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The most awesome vintage Explorer bass EVER.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bongomania, Apr 20, 2009.

1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    10a5_3.

It's a "St. George". As much as I hate neck-divers, that thing just looks too cool. I may have to bid on it. :bassist:

2. Can you kill dragons w/it? :)

Edit: I'd say that body shape is much closer to a T-Bird, though. Still want.

3. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    from the looks of it, yes

so much for picking up that buster, eh bongo?

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The thing is just funky! If the sound is half as funky as the looks, it should be a blast to own!

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Heck no, for one thing I haven't bid on this thing yet, and for another I wouldn't bid any higher than its value as a novelty. A badazz novelty. :p

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Would rock.

7. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    good to hear it. Team Buster is counting on you - I bet the St. George will sound GREAT through it!

8. Do want.

9. Very fugly

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Only issue could be that a lot of these 70's funky style basses that I've tried over the years are built like crap, have terrible electronics and very cheap hardware. Looks cool, but buyer beware!

11. Damn, I put that one on my watch list last night. Figure if it goes cheap enough it might be fun to tinker with.

12. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    that looks nice but it a t-bird not a explorer

13. The metal pickguard and pickups is what makes it so different looking. Like a T-Bird that's been attacked by Reynolds Wrap. :D

14. From a Google search:

15. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Triple Dog Fugly

G

16. Don't ASSUME that it will be neck divey. My Hammers and Gibsons balanced OK due to the upper part of the body being so rearward. Plus.......you sort of rest your arm on it. Never a problem for balance.

17. Okay, so which one of you put the bid on it?

18. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

BIG +1.

Looks very cool, but I wouldn't expect a Japanese bass of that era to be any kind of playable/usable.

19. It's probably not much of a player, but with all that chrome it would make one heck of a decoration. I do wonder if replacing the hardware would do any good.

20. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Replacing all the hardware still doesn't cure everything that's wrong with most of those early 70's MIJ basses. Stuff like this is usually very crude by modern standards. Keep in mind that this is from a time when "Made in Japan" didn't mean what it means today.

Definitly would make a great decoration, and if I were bidding on it, I'd base my bids on it's "novelty" factor, and not as a usable instrument.