The most disgusting Reality Show?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gabu, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I just read about a new one. Here is a quote from yahoo news:

"The ABC 20/20 show, titled "Be My Baby" which is due to be broadcast on Friday night, follows pregnant 16-year-old Jessica as she goes through the adoption process, whittling down prospective candidates to five couples. "

I can't believe it. How would you like to be that baby? :mad:
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    ALL of 'em. I can't understand why my wife watches any of that crap. I think the worst one of all is "THE SWAN". A farce of a show that preys on ugly, self conscious, borderline unstable women, and promises to turn them into beautys with tons of plastic surgery, then put them in a competition against each other to be "The Swan". What a load of crap.
  3. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Wow, that's rotten too. :mad:
  4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Load of crap indeed! But soooo entertaining :oops: . :D
  5. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Every now and then I'll catch myself watching a reality show. But that 'Be My Baby' and 'The Swan' are pretty sick ****. I hope this is a fad that passes real soon. :spit:

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wow, that's disgusting.

The resturaunt is completely idiotic, IMO. I mean, "HEY, I WONDER WHAT IT'S LIKE TO WORK IN A RESTURAUNT?!?!?!?!? Oh my god, they have a TV show about it now, I can finally know the glamourous life of a resturaunt employee/owner. I can die a happy man."

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Their is also a new one on A&E about a family who runs a funeral parlor.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Thats pretty low, i hope this dosent follow the Child as he/she grows up.
  9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Isn't it terrible that the whole point is to take ugly chicks with no self esteem, fix them all up using plastic surgery and stuff, only to tell all but one of them that they are still ugly? That's terrible!

I wouldn't be surprised if you see a few suicides of the contestants after that show.
  10. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    How about "Cheaters"? Folks write into the show telling them they suspect their boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/husband/whatever is cheating. They secretly film the cheaters, show the video to the suspecting partner and then we can enjoy watching someone go through complete emotional trauma. That's the sad part. Then, like a delicate caterpillar morphing into a butterfly, we watch the spouse go from tears to outright blood revenge.

Trash? Yep

Fun to watch? I wish it was. I usually can't get past the first 2-3 minutes.
  11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    My relatives love Fear Factor, every time I to visit they always watch that show, and every episode is incredibly disgusting.

I am cutting out the television lately, but my mom watches soap operas and those are just as bad.
  12. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    The sixteen year old? How about the couples. She is having to eliminate them one by one? Hell, Where will they go to next? I hate reality shows...Ok, I am guilty of watching the apprentice, however, I personally view that as a learning experience. What NOT to do in the corporate world.
  13. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    My quality of life improved when I adopted this principal: If it's not animated or a sporting event, it's not worth watching.

There are a few notable exceptions to this rule. But not many.
  14. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think the worst ones are the ones that just totally make a joke of marriage and serious relationships such as Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire and Temptation Island.

I'll admit though I do watch Survivor and I don't really care if your cousin's wife's uncle was on the show and it's all set up. I watch it because it entertains me, not because I think it's reality.

brad cook
  15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Have you noticed that about 99.99% of new TV shows in the US are just recycled trash from England ??? When the last time you saw an original idea come from US TV (or Hollywood film that isn't just some inferior, warmed-over, remake of an old film ???).

There is one new TV reality show I find worthwhile - "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" on Sunday evenings. They find a family that has had something catastrophic happen to them, through no fault of their own, and they come in with hundreds of skilled tradespople to give them an incredible new home that will make their lives more "livable", e.g. - a wheelchair accessible home with an elevator for a family whose son was in an auto accident and lost the use of his legs.

I think "Broken News" was correct about their description of the orginal concept meeting that launched "Be My Baby" -
    "Do a show glorifying the decaying and nearly decrepit moral fiber of this country, rewarding behaviors like teenage promiscuity and the utter lack of responsibility with legitimacy on television. Then mix it with desperate barren couples. Make a living, breathing child the prize - It's perfect!' And you know what? He had a point." :rolleyes:
  16. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Ok I'll step out on a limb here only to add another view.

These girls want this surgery and have agreed to make a spectical of themselves on TV. Many if not all look GREAT afterwards. Some of the ladies' lives will change for the better. In addition look at the otherside of the coin... what would they do if they didn't get the surgery? Their lives would stay the same, possibly suffering from depression as well as countless other ailments. Will there be disappointment?... maybe..... will there be joy, happiness, and future contentment?.... more likely. These woman received a gift of a lifetime, the chance of raising their self esteem.

The after effect is the how the idea that surgery "fixes one's life" will ripple through our young teen/adult population. There will be a surge of plastic surgery and in turn bad doctors looking to make a quick buck.... not much different then now but on a larger scale.

IMHO, the problem isn't the "Swan" it's the viewers and their expectations. This relates to how the media can "rule" the weak mind.

Just the other side of the coin....
  17. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002

I also wonder how many divorces, broken families, affairs, etc. will result from this new found "self esteem". The few times I've seen the show, the participants really do seem almost unstable with insecurity. I can very easily see this new "esteem" causing them a WORLD of problems. While a few I've seen look remarkably better, I've seen some (and possibly not on this show...but on Extreme Makeover, I believe, look HORRIBLE. A recent example that comes to mind
    was a young black woman that was on because she hated her large lips and wide nose. After her surgery was done, she looked like the Joker from Batman, with a large, artificial smile that was permanently carved in her face.
  18. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Re broken families, divorce and affairs.
    I agree...but what does that say about the relationship proir. A commitment is just that. So in other words one can fall out of love with their mate due to the aesthetic changes made????.... maybe so, but how tight was the bond before hand???

cheezewiz you did make reasonable points though.

Re bad makeovers- see my previous post. I'm sure they happen... but the "contestant" agreed to whatever the outcome. That is reality right there.
  19. I think they are disgusting too, but nobody is forcing me to watch. With all these reality shows on tv it means that there aren't as many good shows on anymore, but watching less tv isn't a bad thing.
  20. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Agreed there Lloyd. I can honestly say I've never watched one of those shows start to finish, but unfortunately, I think my wife watches ALL of them. To me, if it's not football, hockey, repeats of Star Trek TNG, or CSI ( which I watch solely because of the hot red headed MILF), then I'm probably not watching it.