Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

THE most expensive bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Markdezy, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Markdezy

Markdezy

Jan 24, 2004
    Atlanta
    Anyone have a clue to what it is/how much it costs?

Just bored and started wondering.

2. RedoX

RedoX

Jan 26, 2004
    Mexico
    it would be a custom, there is no limit for the price... well, there is but really high

3. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    my guess would be a Fodera or Warrior

4. mmm, a tricked out alembic custom could hit the high 10,000's

5. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    My guess would be a tricked out Alembic hewn from a solid block of gold with a plastic butter knife and was sent back in time to be thrown up on by Jimi Hendrix right before he died.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    A custom one-off by an independent luthier could easily exceed the price of any Fodera or Warrior. Sky's the limit. Imagine an eleven string bass comprised of super-rare woods, complex electronic schemes, and real honest to goodness diamond neck marker inlays . . . solid 24 karat gold hardware . . .

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    IIRC the most expensive instrument ever is an upright bass? I think it is more expensive than Strativarius (sp?) violins - for some reason I recall it was actually a Strativarius bass - but that may be wrong. I'm sure one of the DB guys could chime in.

As far as electric bass guitars go - there was a Warrior that was $20,000 (as were some limited edition SSDs?) - Im pretty sure some of those featured custom Alembics were over $20k as well.

8. yeah, a pre ww2 german double bass in perfect condition would fetch a nice price I am sure :) Keep in mind I do not know much of double basses, but this is just my thought.

9. bassurgery?

10. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I've seen one list @ $27,000. Their Sterling 25th Anniversary models list at $25,000. The inlay is Sterling silver. 25 were made. Hmmmm....25 basses were made for the 25th anniversary, listing at $25,000 each.

[​IMG]

Peace,

James

Details for those who care

11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Did I ever tell you how much I am beginning to hate you!?

First the SSR and now this?

Just stay off the Hot Chix and Bass Babes Threads,
    you are killing me!

12. Is that US dollars or AUS dollars or what???
    And that is one mighty fine bass:D :D :D
    i think im ib love;)

Rock out,
    Chips:bassist:

13. The most expensive bass I've ever seen was a vintage Gibson EB-3 that was owned by Jack Bruce of Cream. It was selling for upwards of $60,000 on ebay. I don't know if that counts.

14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I've seen some new warriors around the 40-50k mark I believe.

15. Zemaitis basses are pretty danged expensive.

16. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Many of John Entwistle's basses that were auctioned right after he died went upwards of $250k I believe.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah. I think somewhere I found a warrior that was going for 100K.

18. Bassius

Bassius

Nov 6, 2001
    usa
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar amps
  19. yeah, uprights get waaaaaay up there...

i remember reading a quote of a famous uprighter saying that if he didnt buy his bass he could have bought TWO ferarris!

20. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Must be all the insane inlays they do. You have to sign up just to see some of their basses on the Warrior site, although I didn't bother. I'm not a fan of most Warrior body styles-most are just too darn pointy. Great inlays though.