Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the most growly jazz-pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jonki, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    hiya, im thinking to upgrade my geddy now, any suggestions for the most growly pickup?

thanks
    Jonki

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'd say a Dimarzio Ultra Jazz, or Model J

3. Also look at your strings.. my growl has increased a lot when I changed to TI superalloys :smug:

The Dimarzio Model J's are a nice choice.. Well, the one in the bridge ROCKS! The neck pickup is ok.

4. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    thanks for suggestions! keep em coming!
    btw, i use DM Nickelsteel Custom Light strings, they have extra midrange.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Did you read the pickups faq? There's links to many J pickup review threads, including one of mine with many different sound samples of different pickups in a Geddy Lee bass.

6. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    what? thats peferct for me! i'll check it out! thanks!

7. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    I just got a bass with Bartolini 9J#1's on it and the bridge pickup is plenty growly. Bestbassgear says, "These are wound to yield more "growl" from the Bridge pickup". And I can testify... It's got a fair amount of low end too for the bridge position.

8. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    yeah, seems to me that the barts have more bottom

9. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    The nordstrand NJ4SE is supposed to growl like it's its job.

10. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    thanks for suggestions, but the Nordstrands is too pricey for me.

i've been lookin at DiMarzio Model J set(DP123), Bartolini 9J and Bartolini 9CB
    i want hum-cancelling pickups. but im not sure that the 9CBs is hum-cancelling though.
    i can explain the sound im after

good bass response, maximum growl, punchy treble(not ringy and bright).
    My current pickups in my Geddy, as most of you know, is US Vintage pickups, for me, these pickups lacks of bass, they have descent growl, and the treble is too bright, even when i roll off treble and boost the bass and mids.

i dont have any amp and cab, but im using this stuff ;
    Sansamp RBI, great for me as a preamp and overdriver
    ART Tube DI, this tube DI warms up the sound
    Dean Markley NickelSteel CL strings, these have ekstra mids and balanced bass and treble. I dont even clean my strings, i want to get rid of that damn treblish and ringy sound.
    and yes, i have tweeked and used other strings, with no luck.

my bugdet is around 150-160$ incl shipping to Norway

thanks alot!

11. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    hi again, i made my desicion, its gonna be the DiMarzio Model J set :D

12. I'm thinking of using EMGs on a Geddy anybody on TB try these on this bass? Was it a mission with the two 9 volt batterys?

13. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I had Model Js
    Super growly, very articulate, slightly less lows, more mids

I had Bart 9J#1s
    Super growly, more lows, less highs, articulate but had the Bartolini sound.

If you play jazz/funk go Bart

If you need anything else go Dimarzio

Most of all, take what I said with a grain of salt.

14. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Personally, I love the Custom Shop '60s Jazz from Fender. My all-time favorite J set (I've owned 11 different sets).

15. The right decision!!

16. I have DiMarzio Model J in my fretless jazz. Each pickup is wired in series, and the pair is wired parallel with two volumes and one tone control.

I'm replacing the volume pots with 500K CTS, and the tone pot with a CTS (Fender) 250k no-load pot. This switches the tone control entirely out of the circuit when fully on. Removing this pot from the circuit positively affects the impedance loading on the passive pickups. No-load pots cannot be used as volume controls.

I want to get rid of the MIM pots entirely, plus I want maximum brightness and minimal loading on the pickups. It is also getting a full copper shielding job as detail here on TB.