Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The most important day of my life

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by markus, Mar 10, 2005.

1. markus

markus

Jan 13, 2005
    Will probably be this monday.

There's this music high school in stockholm (i live in sweden, one hour outside the city)
    I'm not totally sure of what our swedish school system is represented by in USA, but i'm in 9th grade now (16 years) and this will be the junior high, i think.
    Anyway, that school, is probably the best music school in sweden, in it's kind (high schools) Every year about 700 search but only 90-120 get in.
    I decided last year that i wanna go there and my bass teacher tells me that there will be no problem's gettin in. I'm very confident that i'll make it, and i felt like having to write something to strangers so that you can pep me. :)

The audition is this monday, at 13.00...I'm gonna play a medley consisting of Blackeyed Blonde (flea), Skinny sweaty man (flea) and one more song in the same style which i came up with for the band a while ago. So three hardass pop'nslap songs + Pretty little ditty (also by RHCP).. + two songs that you have to play...

One problem tho... This tuesday, on PE, we played basketball and that f***ing ball hit my thumb. I twisted it... (is that the correct word. sprangling? strangling? i don't remember) REally bad too.... ARgh... i've been wearing a bandage since then and not until tonite i've played the bass. But, luckily I found out that it doesn't affect my playing very much. SO i really hope that the gig on saturday with the band (for charity ;) ) will f**k up the thumb.

I've been playing since i was nine (making this my 7th year) and Ive evolved really much the last time and have learnt to play all the incredibly fast popping'nslapping things flea does. it's really cool and i'm proud. Now, pep me!

(also, if you want, you may write about own experiences with these kinds of auditions...)

/Markus

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi markus, my take is, if you impress those people with your playing, "in spite of your handicap", you'll surely qualify. I wish you the best of luck and success with your endeavors! :)

3. markus

markus

Jan 13, 2005
    Thank you very much for the pepping....

Ok, so now it's sunday. I know the thumb works cause we gigged yesterday at my school to raise money for the victims for the tsunami. I'm the head of the student's school council so I've worked like a dog the last month to make everything go together. I hope it worked out ok, I dunno cause i was carrying stuff all day long (when not playing).
    Anyway. I left my bass at our singer's house. So I gotta go there today to pick it up.. ARgh... Then I'm gonna practice all day long.
    Come on now people. Pep me

:)

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Is it wise to audition on three songs of the same genre? That's not going to demonstrate much versatility and range.

5. markus

markus

Jan 13, 2005
    Pretty little ditty is kinda far from the hard*ss popping style. i could also have played Jaco's version of Blackbird but i can't play it good enough yet, so i'm aiming for some kind of safety.
    Plus, the two songs you have to play are "Chameleont" if you know that song (my bass teacher says that the guys that are gonna judge me tomorrow probably auditioned playing that song. it's a classic) and a jacoish blues. So i'm having quite a variation in styles.
    One thing tho: I've played all day long today. Playing to my sisters Casio-keyboards drum machine and playing along to records (RHCP.... haha... i'm quite a nerd). Everything went ok but now i'm feeling a bit exhausted and can't seem to play right. Ueah.....i hope everything will turn out ok...
    In my next post, tomorrow, I'll tell you how it wen't. Maybe I can tell you if i get in. I might ask them that afterwards. If i strike them numb they will probably be able to tell me that pretty much directly.

Goodnight...

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, alrighty then.

7. markus

markus

Jan 13, 2005
    It's monday now, and I've done everything in my powers to make them choose me.
    I came there, warmed up and then went into the room with the jury. There were two teachers and a student, plus a guitar teacher and drum teacher. The musicians jammed with me. It wen't pretty close to great. I wasn't nervous AT ALL. So strange... I met other students who couldn't breathe... One guy told me that his hand had locked up while playing. He'd f***ed up totally. I wasn't even shaking.
    Through the whole audition, I tried to seem as experienced and show a big self esteem as possible (weird sentence. again, i'm from sweden =) )
    I totally forgot to play Pretty Little Ditty, but I think it's OK cause those other songs were really groovy. The only thing that didn't go too well was to play along to a completely unknown songs, seeing only the chords. I have almost no training in that and missed the flat 5. Otherwise, I'm very satisfied. When I came out of the jury room, my legs started to shake. That's it.. I wasn't more nervous. Then, me and my dad went trying out a Warwick 4x10 i'm about to buy.
    Excellent day!

15 april will be the next important day. That's when I know if I get in.

Take care and thanks for the support

8. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Sounds like it went well. Good luck, I'll be waiting for your next post ;)

9. markus

markus

Jan 13, 2005
    hehey everybody... It's four days left now. I am beginning to get REALLY nervous. You guys gotta be here for me if I don't get in, or i'll probably jump off a bridge or something... :crying:

/markus

10. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Now, don't go doing anything drastic. Just take it as it comes. Even if you don't get in I'll bet you grew from the experience. And besides, a lot of great players had some setbacks like that along the way.

Good luck!

Matt

11. Shoka42

Shoka42

Jul 19, 2003
    england
    Good luck man, it sounds like you are an awesome bassist! Especially for your age, i'm 16 and can only dream of those skills!

Hope they liked you!

12. bass555

bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    I auditioned for DisneyWorld with a RHCP piece...didn't get the gig though

not that I'm bitter (grumble...)

GOOD LUCK :eyebrow:

13. markus

markus

Jan 13, 2005
    you guys are great pals.... now, there are probably around 36 hours left... :bassist: :ninja: :bassist:

14. markus

markus

Jan 13, 2005
    hahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!

I'M IN!!!

thanks for the support guys...

:hyper:

15. Shoka42

Shoka42

Jul 19, 2003
    england
    Wow man, that's incredible! Well played, and I hope you enjoy it at the music place. :smug:

16. Huzzah!

Congratulations!

17. markus

markus

Jan 13, 2005
    hehe.. now we've rehearsed with a band... the practice transformed into a party for me =)... haha... just came home..

thinking about the three nextcoming years that i'm gonna spend at the wonderful school... argh i'm so happy...

18. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Yay. Congratulations!

19. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Cool.

Joe

20. barebones