Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The most important part of the bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lloyd Christmas, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Other than the person playing it... ;)

This may be a silly question, but what would you say is the most important part of the bass regarding tone? The wood? Strings? Pickups? Something else?
    If you took a cheapo bass and put expensive pickups in it, would it sound like an expensive bass or is the tone you get from a good bass a combination of all the variables?

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    your answer is blowing past your chin....... in the wind..... :bassist:

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    That would be my choice. Most basses are more than the sum of their parts IMO. The pickups have a big influence as do the body wood and the strings. I have had other people play my bass and it sounds quite different than when I play it which is why I give my vote to the player.

Dan

4. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    it's not the arrow...it's the indian...

but after the player...I'd say the pickups & onboard preamp(if it has one). :bassist:

5. The tone is more pups/electronics & strings.....

Wood a smaller part of tone but the two above more so....

But they all need each other to make it work to get killer tone.

6. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I'd say the neck. Even a bass with crappy body wood and pickups (which can be easily replaced anyway) can be fun to play with a nice, stable neck.

7. Other than player, pups.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Id say pickup POSITION.

After that both pickups and wood.

Peace
    Nick

9. Ofcourse not.
    The pickups just amplify the sound of the rest of the bass.
    It's all in the wood and the construction. Pickups can give the whole another timbre though. But to put expensive pickups on a cheapo bass that doesn't sound good unamplified to begin with, would be just as silly as mounting the wheels of a Porsche under a Hyundai Pony :D

10. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Oxford
    Nah, none of that stuff. It's the colour: for example, no other Stingray sounds as good as my nice sparkly Blue Dawn one. :D

Oh alright, in the grand scheme of things the colour isn't that important, but I do think it's conducive to how one actually plays the thing. Just like some people feel more at home with a really knackered-looking instrument.

Chris.

11. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN

I desperately want to make love to a school boy!

12. right.... that scares me

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Where the hell did that come from?

14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I disagree...based on the several basses I have played and owned I have found the wood to be the most important ingredient in a bass. Garbage in, garbage out so to speak. Only when really experiencing the difference that the right wood can make, is it possible to really understand.

I prefer electronics that are as transparent as possible as well.

15. Well said sir

16. Id say having a neck would be great inprovement to a bass... :p

o0o0o

and also string..they tend to help as well...!!!

17. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Oxford
    Back in the olden days the response was "guess who's wandered off and left their terminal logged in". I suppose the same probably applies here since it's apparently from an established TBer.

I'd ask that the mod dudes delete it before the bogus post becomes associated with its victim.

Chris.

18. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i mean it could be made of cheapo parts but if it was put together so it just felt right ewwww, that would make it nice. pups and all can be replaced but you cant replace the overall feel of a bass. :smug:

19. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    For me, you can make the most drastic tone change with the pickups and their location.

Many people can listen to a clip and tell you what kind of pickups are being used but I don't know anyone who can tell you what kinds of wood are in the bass.

And as for a bass that sounds lame unplugged not being able to sound good plugged in... Steingberger ;)

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Wood, Pick ups and the bridge that reverberates the string energy.