1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The most important skill

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Axtman, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Over the years I have come to the conclusion that people skills are the most important skill that a person can have. It can trump ability any day.

To put it in music terms, you can be by far the absolute bass player that the world has ever known. But if you lack people skills, you won't go far in your career. On the flip side you can be a moderately competent bass player with great people skills and go far.

2. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Inactive

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    the_more_you_know2.jpg

3. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    ^ has no people skills.

to the OP: agreed. no one wants to hang around with a dickhead. even a virtuoso dickhead.

4. Chinwagging is the most highly paid profession on the planet, provided you are good at it.

5. Fix'd it fer ya :D. But, yeah I definitely agree with the OPs statement. My mom did and still does try to impress upon me and my brother, the fact that people skills will take you very far in life. I'd like to think I turned out well in that regard but I'm still working at it.

At my school especially, I've seen a lot of people with the smarts to solve any problem but a lot of them are about as socially adept as a moldy rock. Now I think I'm much better off in the latter but the former could use some work :).

6. thus, sales people can sell people stuff they don't want, or need, or can afford. That's what they get paid for.

7. People skills like how? I'm about as introverted as they come, but I can still hold a conversation. Has it held me back? Not really.

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Good salespeople don't. Jerks do.

I've been in sales...and there are plenty of great people in various sales positions. I'm tired of blanket condemnations.

9. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    People skills are good and all, but you'll have to have more than that if you're going to impress the Bobs...

bobs.jpg

10. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Then you take someone like Lars Ulrich who not only sucks at drums, he sucks at life. :(

11. People skills? And waste precious talent of people?

12. I've been in sales too. Every boss I ever had encouraged upselling, suggesting more expensive items, etc. I'm not saying that one needs to lie to get a sale. I'm not saying you should be immoral to get a sale. But someone who can talk, does a lot better than those of us who can't. If you're trying to passively sell something, you'll lose your job.

13. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    what would you say... YA do, around here?

14. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    :D

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020