The MOST Jazzy Lakland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattsk42, Oct 19, 2005.

1. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Skyline. I'm looking for something opposite of a Bob Glaub. Smooth, more modern, new jazz sound. I'm thinking Sadowsky-type tone. I am really happy with Lakland, and I'd like to support their company as well, so only Lakland Skyline models. Thanks!
  2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Darryl Jones. with a J Retro Preamp.

The BEST jazz I have ever played.
  3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

or , for a passive bass , just go with DJ4 ... kills any Jazz i ever played .
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Wow, two for the DJ, no one for the Joe Osborn yet.

Has anyone tried both? Can anyone compare the two? Thanks.
  5. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I've owned both Blackbird.

My vote is for the DJ. Great bass all around. Smaller, more contoured body than the JO. The Aero pickups just sing. Great lows, crisp but not harsh highs.

The JO is also a great bass, more in the traditional Fender vibe. The Fralins have more of a smooth, vintage jazz bass sound. Real strong mids, somewhat muted highs.
  6. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i haven't tried the JO , but he did mention that he was looking for a modern , Sadowsky type sound ...

i believe the JO has a more traditional { not as modern , less aggressive } sound and feel ...
    just from what i've read on other forums ...
  7. mattsk42

Thanks for all the quick replies! :)

Are these the only two that have that sound/the best? Are they a lot better than the 44-01/2's? I should mention that it will be a 4 string.
  8. mgbass

Mar 31, 2004
    Northern KY
    I have a DJ 5 right now and have owned a JO 5 (USA), they are very different.
    The DJ has the Aero pickups which are much more agressive and have a bit more overall volume, where the JO has the Fralins, very balanced, not as loud, but a great true jazz sound.

The body styles are different, with the DJ having a more cut-away lower horn, and the neck inlays are a nice touch. The neck on my DJ is great as I have heard some of the neck are "chunkie", my is great, s was the neck on the JO 5. I have not played a Skyline JO 5.

Overall, I prefer the DJ to the JO, I can get more punch out of the DJ with the Aero's, and I like the body styling, and it just feels great.

As usual, it depends on what your needs are and what sound you are tryng to develop.

You can't go wrong with any of the Lakland products, as Dan Lakin and his team do a great job with customer service.

Hope you get to try them both and compare.

9. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Apples and Oranges. They aren't "better" than an 01-02, but are very different. The DJ and JO are more Fender style, passive basses, while the 01-02's are active basses with a "Lakland" shaped body.

I've owned pretty much every type skyline made, and they were all great basses, but my favorite of all of them is the Darryl Jones.
  10. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I have played the JO5 and the DJ4 Passive, and DJ5 with J retro.

The DJ is just amazing.
  11. mattsk42

The shape/width, etc. aren't an issue for me.
    I meant better as in "the jazziest (modern) bass tone" = the best. I think I can get a good enough vintage jazz sound out of the Glaub, so that's covered. Am I correct in thinking the 44- are more of a rock/pop/ standard tone bass than the JO/DJ ?
  12. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I suppose you could put it that way, although the 01 and 02 sound quite a bit different. The 01 is a bit more aggresive sounding. If I was using a Skyline for metal, or hard rock, it would be an 01. The Bart equipped 02s are a bit smoother sounding, but sit great in a mix.
  13. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I personally own a JO5. I've played the DJ4's and I liked them quite a bit. I'll eventually own a DJ5 when the time and finanaces are in place. My suggestion to you depending on how aggressive of a sound that you want is which of these to get. If you're really after that sadowsky sound, then buy a Sadowsky Outboard Stompbox and then you'll have a great passive bass and the pre-amp + a DI for when you need it. I think the sadowsky sound is most indicative of its pre-amp. Just for reference, I've owned two Lakland 55-02's as well and played several 55-01's. If you're into more modern sounds or really aggressive sounds, then the 55-02 and 55-01 may be an option. However, I don't think any of them sound like a sadowsky, which I've owned as well... :D
  14. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    But..I have to say, the Darryl Jones (besides being my favorite bass), is a bass I don't think I've ever seen a bad review of. It seems as if almost everyone that gets one, loves it.
  15. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've played a both JO and DJ Skylines, and without question, the DJ was a better bass for me. The Aero p-ups were much more aggrssive than the p-ups that were in the JO which I'm assuming were the Fralins. I'm not a fan of the Fralins at all...they seem to lack in the lows quite a bit. I'm typicly not a fan of passive basses, but the DJ5 is certainly one bass that I'd own.
  16. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Another vote for the DJ

I've had a DJ4, DJ5 and JO5 - the two DJ's were definitely my favorites. They were both passive, and are just excellent sounding basses. My basis for what a good jazz should sound like. I also would add Sadowsky and Lull to that list, but the DJ just nails it for me.

Sometimes I played mine through an Aguilar DB924 external preamp, but usually played them straight into the amp.
  17. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    All I can say is that I can't wait for my Lefty USA JO 5 String to end up at my doorstep (gotta finish paying it off too :D ).
  18. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'm lovin' my DJ5, but I'm actually thinking of trying to trade it for one WITHOUT the J-retro. The J-retro adds a lot of flexibility, but I'm finding myself playing in passive mode more and more to try to get closer to the true tone of the Aeros.

I think the best option is a DJ with an outboard pre (Sadowsky, etc.) so that you can have the best of both worlds.
  19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This talk about DJ5s is making me feel so empty! I want a DJ5 so bad, but I wouldn't mind a 55-02 also. I just think that Skyline is perfect for my current financial reality. They are great basses that can be had for less than $1,500, which is pretty much my absolute limit unless there is a major change in finances.
  20. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've found the J-Retro to be almost too flexible to the point that it was hard to even dial in a favorite on the fly. It certainly takes a bit to get used and as some have mentioned, the preamp is a bit colored even flat.