1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The most overlooked jems!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gaetano Paul, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    Hey guys. Lets discuss and share some basses that are great basses that are overlooked these days, maybe even priced as if it was a cheap bass but really a wonderful bass.
    I'll start with the Ibanez Sr800 made in Japan. If you look around you can find one of these old boys for around $200 with case, $220 used at music stores. Active pups, great build, dirt cheap these days! I think they made the last ones in 99, but I am not 100%

2. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I think the Yamaha BB series basses fit this thread.

3. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Dammit, Moe... beat me to it!

Yeah, I think the higher-end Yamahas are the most overlooked... and the higher-end USA Peaveys.

I WISH the G&L's were still overlooked, but. alas...

4. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    Yeah there was one on Craigs list in my city for $225 last month

5. I got a bag of parts bass in a trade deal that included a TL6 for me. That disassembled bass turned out to be a Peavey Patriot. I have already sold the TL6, but nobody will get my little Patriot. That single pickup monster gives me a great Geddy/ Chris Squire sound, and is such a blast to play. I couldn't imagine ever letting it go.

Funny, it is considered a starter bass. But it is far better than that. MNAirhed will attest to that, having played it. Then he will want to kill me for bringing it up, cause he gave me the bag of parts. Thanks Tim, even if you do hate me a little bit more now. Lol

6. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Peavey Foundation V. After getting mine set up plays amazing with a killer vintage tone.

7. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    This and...

Jazz bass specials
    Fender Boner basses
    Ibanez SR

8. Peavey Fury

9. marklaforest

marklaforest

Feb 5, 2010
    Ottawa
    I've had an Ibanez SR800 and a couple of the Yamaha BB series basses... Great. I bought them when I was starting out and it was all I could afford. Really got lucky, because I had no idea at the time what to look for in an instrument. Would recommend them to any beginners. In fact, I donated both my SR and my Yamaha to the high school I went to with that in mind.

10. fourfinger

fourfinger Gold Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    Ibanez ATK 300/305

11. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Ibanez roadstar

12. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Peavey G Bass. :)

13. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    I'm borrowing a Squier P Bass at the moment. It's one of the really cheap Chinese made models. I gave it a few tweaks of the trussrod and action and, I must admit, this thing sounds/plays freakin' awesome. No joke.

14. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    You could say that again...

:eek: :hyper:

15. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    Nice vid Rush

16. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    +2 for the Peavey Patriot since I own 2 of 'em. Awesome little players. Not a gig I would ever feel bad about showing with either of them. Everybody that ever plays them wants to know where they can get one.

17. Peavey Foundation and the TL basses. I had a $200 Peavey foundation bump a Fbass out of my stable and the TL bumped the foundation out. There are very few basses out there that I would consider buying to replace my TL and none of them can be had for the $400 I paid for the TL.

lowsound

18. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    I believe ya! :cool:

Fred

19. The Thinker

The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    +1! I have a Roadstar II P-copy I bought for under $150 and it RAWKS.

20. stonedmotus

stonedmotus

Dec 10, 2009
    +1 - made in korea or taiwan? killer neck. sounds great. solid build quality. under $200.