the most playable basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by terraplane, Mar 31, 2003.

1. terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    I play a American JB, and It have the tipical sound of fender...but is hard to play, high action, and, sometime, powerless sound. I've tested an economic ibanez bass, that has not JB sound, but was very very very easy to play. soft and low action, slim neck, and lots of power from the strings with minimal finger power...what's the most playable bass in your opinion? And think that active JB is the answer to my dream? Vintage sound without vintage bass trouble?:)
    thak you,
  2. First of all "active" means the bass has an onboard preamp. It has nothing to do with playability.

Second, have your bass professionally set up if you want it to play better. You could also try lighter strings.
  3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    but to answer your question- the most playable bass ive encountered to date may just be my F bass
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    To date, the bass that just played itself all over me was a Roscoe SKB3007. That thing was rediculously easy to play. Played like, well, like I wasn't playing it.

Either that, or Bassmonkee's Curbow fretted 5. Man that was nice...
  5. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    i have a MIM fender P, and i just played a cheap ibanez, and the playability and comfort/balance were better than my P.
  6. if you want "vintage sound" then active is not the way to go. i think you should get a pro setup, maybe have a new nut cut.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Lakland 55-94 is very playable. Ditto Zon Sonus.
  8. I'm gonn ahave to go with F bass on this,
  9. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I've not played many high end basses, but in terms of fender, the '51 P is definitely the best playing, the neck is great, it seemed to fit me like a glove, and it was just buttah. Even the knobs were comfortable and easy to tweak.

My friend has a dean that I played recently, and oh man was that easy to play....the action was set to "max buzzage", so minimal finger exertion was necessary. unfortunately it buzzed insanely, reducing that playability factor.

I really need to test drive more basses.....
  10. I'd say my MIM P-Bass.:bassist:
  11. F Basses are sweet. I also really enjoy my Dingwall. To me, they are very similar in terms of balance and the neck feel. The F bass is a little rounder, I believe, noticeable mostly at the edges of the neck. Not better or worse, just different.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've played so many basses with excellent playability I couldn't pick just one.
  13. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Most playable bass I've held recently was a Peavey Cirrus 4 - more playable than most of the instruments going for twice the price I've tried (I won't name any names here).

I agree that you need a setup on your J bass. Not all J's are created equal, but it sure sounds like your has some issues - a J should be a nice playing instrument - I know all of mine have been. :)
  14. Fender Jazz or P IMO seem to be the most playable basses I have played..thats if they are set up to my liking.... Fender MIJ's seem to really fit my hands better than all other Fenders
  15. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I think you should get a pro to curve your neck just a bit and lower your action :bassist:
  16. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Great playability....hmmmmm.....well, in my recent quest for a new fiver (decided on Modulus Q5) here's the list of basses I auditioned with "great" (albeit different) playablity. This is in no particular order. Needless to say playablity is pretty subjective player to player.
    Modulus Zon MTD Sadowsky
    Ken Smith F Bass Warrior

The following were "better than good" but not "great".
    Fender FMT Kinal Lakland
    Fender Marcus Miller 5

Hey, but that's me!
  17. About 7 or 8 years ago, I had GAS for a J-bass. So I tried this nice black-with-white-pickguard MIM Fender Jazz. That thing played sooooooo well, I totally fell in love with it. I'm sure that with proper setup, your MIA J-bass will beat the crap out of ANY Ibanez, both playability- and tone-wise. :bassist:
  18. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    State-of-the-art playability basses:

Marleaux mBass
    Human Base ClassX
    Le Fay Pangton/Remington
  19. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have to say that my new Zone is the most playable. My Jazz was also a very playable bass. It's all in the set up.

20. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    The most playable bass I've ever played is my fretless Sukop 5. I can play things on it I can't do on any other bass.