1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The most recorded Drummer in the world

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Apr 25, 2006.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Bernard Purdie

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    That guy's good! To my shame I must admit that I've only come across his name once or twice, though.

Apparently he "ghosted" for Ringo on some early Beatles records.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
    Actually, I have heard that rumour for awhile...I have never seen it confirmed. I have read 20+ books about the Beatles(including Geoff Emerick's); I would think if it were true, somebody woulda slipped up by now. If true, this secret has to be more guarded than Roswell.
    ;)

J-
    There are those that would put Larry Londin & Billy Higgins up as candidates for 'the Most Recorded Drummer'.

4. Chuck Rainey/ Bernard "Pretty Boy" Purdie = One of the best rhythm sections to grace a Steely Dan recording IMHO.:D :D

5. What I wouldn't do to just sit down with a cat like that for a couple hours and just jam.. There are just some drummers out there that can teach a bass player more about playing bass than a bass player can and he is one of them.

6. 1. Hal Blaine
    2. Earl Palmer

7. Tony Oppenheim

Tony Oppenheim

Nov 17, 2005
    Author, Slap It! Funk Studies for the Electric Bass
    Get "Aretha Franklin - Live at the Filmore West"

It's one of my favorite albums of all time for so many reasons, not the least of which is Bernard's amazing performance.

The track "Love The One You're With" has a section (near the 3 minute mark) where the whole band and the vocalists combine to create what I can only describe as a "freight train of funk", with Billy Preston, Jerry Jemmott and Bernard Purdie (and the rest of that amazing band!) as the engine.

If I could time travel those concerts would be one of my first stops!

Lol!

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Bernard recorded on my trio CD last year with guitarist Kudzai Kasambira that I plan to release this year.

This recording falls in the category of the other side of Funk :)

and yes I used my Fretless Sub Contra Bass

9. matt hunt

matt hunt

Dec 16, 2005
    London
    That is one great drumming face he's got going on! How can you not be great when you pull faces like that!

10. Props to him. I have a hard time sitting through a meeting in a suit without sweating and being uncomfortable. ;)

11. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    what about jeff porcaro, steve gadd and jim keltner? they aint bad either,porcaro's shuffle on black friday always amazes me. but you are right, chuck rainey and pretty boy are a damn good rythem section. porcaro actually said that purdie was his main inspiration for his rosanna groove.
    if you think about it, anyone who played on the steely dan records is pretty good, and its futile to argue who is the best. steely dan rules!!!!!!

12. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK

I can't possibly believe this, only for the fact that, when comparing the sound that both drummers have, there's no way I could mistake the two. I mean come on, "purdie shuffle"
    confused with sloppy and stoned ringo?

13. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    By the way, I happen to love Ringo's sloppy sound. Perfect for the Beatles

14. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    If more drummers had the groove it would make our jobs a lot easier. That is how drums should be played. Nothing fancy..no crazy double bass stuff. Just straight up groovin!

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

and thats how he approached my session.

16. Buddy Miles is another one that has a lot of throne time - Not to mention his song writing or singing.

17. You obviously have never heard Rikki Rockett and Bobby Dahl "groove"......LMFAO.... ;)

God, those Steely Dan albums were such "perfect" recordings and that's a word I only tend to use in association with XTC records.

18. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Owner: Bass Direct
    Post this to all the drummers you know who think they have feel and groove...this guy is seriously good and I have never heard of him:rollno:

Thanks for the link, I have a guy who is a pro drummer and he comes close to this and wow its party time with the improv groove, but this guy is superb, you must have really enjoyed your session....good call;)

19. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Jauqo I can't wait to hear your jams with Bernard. I know they smoke!!!

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Mike,remember when we were together the CD player wouldn't play the tracks :)

I've played on and off with Bernard over the years and we've always talked about doing something together and we finaly got around to doing it last year.Bernard is very solid and very versatile.Benard has ghosted on a lot of recordings(one reason was because of his perfect pocket and his feel.and his ability to take a bad Drum part that was done by another Drummer and replay it perfectly and the way it was intended).