Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The most saddest/depressing music video...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Ok, so what is the most saddest/depressing music video you've ever seen? well, or the saddest/depressing song you've ever heard, either or works.

The one for me actually kinda... made.. me... shed.. a tear, cause it's like my biggest fear:

"Whiskey Lullaby" by Brad Paisley

... yes, i know, it's a country song, but, it's really, really sad. If you dont believe me, watch the music video here: http://launch.yahoo.com/ar-291413-videos--Brad-Paisley

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Johnny Cash - Hurt; the only video that has ever truly struck me as sad.

Mars Volta - Televators; very somber song with a great video for it.

Molly Hatchet- Satisfied, by far the lamest video I have ever watched. This video made me sad for being a human.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Johnny Cash's version of Hurt was fantastic...unfortunately, I never got to see the video.

4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
  5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
  6. i dunno.
    i don't really like punkrock, but AFI's silver and cold i guess is more ironic than sad. the lead singer is standing on a bridge, about to kill himself, and his bandmates find out, and get in their car to go to the bridge and save him...they speed around town, trying to get to the singer ASAP, and right as they get near him, they crash, and the car explodes. The singer just sees the explosion, not realizing that that explosion contained his friends, and he jumped off the bridge. whoops...

thats about the only one that i can think of...i guess it made me kind of sad.

7. Hurt by Johnny Cash, especially because he pasted recently. Sevendust covered this song on an acoustic album which was also well done.

8. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    There was one I haven't seen, but one of the nurses at work told me about it It basically features a little girl with abusive parents. There is a little boy who is always with her in most of the scenes. Later in the video at her funeral, the little boy is the last one at her graveside. And when he walks away from the grave he walks through a tombstone. Or at least that's what the nurse telling me this described.

Does it make me a cold-hearted bastard that the reason I remember the story is because she made all the other nurses on the floor that night cry by telling them the story.

9. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Martina McBride- Concrete Angel

That video really bummed me out.

I don't really listen to country music but was skimming channels one night and ended up on VH1 country. It was the 1st video I saw and man what a powerful and sad song. I have no idea who wrote it but the listener can feel the pain.

10. Its not depressing as such, but it certainly makes you think ALOT and feel extrememly weird: Metallica- One (the full length version with the movie stuff in the background)

11. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
  12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

oh yeah! That one caught me out of the blue.... :(

Hurt is up there too.... R.I.P. Mr. Cash

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The saddest one for me has to be "Whiskey Lullaby" also. It really gets me when I listen to the song, but the video takes the cake. As a couple of TBer's here know, I went down that road a little over a year ago, so it strikes home with me. (thankfully, I quit the heavy drinking before something like that happened to me, thanks to a few good friends)

Some others that also get me:

The Saddest Song--the Ataris
    Hurt--Johnny Cash
    Concrete Angel--Martina McBride
    There Is--Boxcar Racer
    Me and Emily--Rachel Proctor
    If You See Her--Brooks & Dunn and Reba McEntire
    Who's That Man--Toby Keith
    Here Without You--Three Doors Down

There are others, but I think I have listed enough.

14. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I second that, in a big way.

Also, "Just" by Radiohead.

15. Rosemary's Baby - Fantômas

Such a haunting piece, made even more awesome and great by Mike Patton.

16. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    One that really surprised me was Metallica's video for their cover of "Turn The Page". Shows a prostitute and mother being beaten pretty badly in front of her son after, um, "working". It didn't fit the song at all, and it stood out from the rest of their videos (only time I ever saw it was when there was a Metallica marathon on TV), but it's depressing as all hell.

17. "The Scientist," Coldplay.

A music teacher who passed away in August last year put me onto Coldplay; it reminds me of him.

18. Johnny Cash's hurt was pretty depressing

i'm surprized noone mentioned "Behind Blue Eyes" by limp bizkit. It's one of those videos that speaks out that your not the only one that feels alienated and isolated from being single (something like that). it used to get me, now that I don't see it played at all much on MTV FUSE or VH1, i guess i don't have to worry about it. I thought it was going to be a hit too, with the latest emo craze it sounded like a nice old school mellow out song

19. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Because it's song by The Who. :p

The original is way better.

20. damn....well, now you know how much i love classic rock n roll...