Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Most Slamminest Phatest Growlinest Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Eulogist, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Eulogist

Eulogist

Nov 3, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Hello

I am what we call in the industry a "metalhead".

I play in a "metal" band.

I play a Fender Precision Bass Lyte Deluxe which comes with an active Fender humbucker at the bridge and active Fender p pickup closer to the neck.

I love the bass but want a more aggressive sound.
    I've heard good things about the Musicman humbucker, but it's much wider than the Fender Humbucker, so I'd have to cut out the hole a bit. Before I go to all that, do you gentlemen have any input? I want my bass to sound as tough as possible.

Thank you

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Ditch the Fender "Lyte." Real metalheads wouldn't be caught dead playing anything called "Lyte."

That's like a Hell's Angel drinking Perrier.

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA

No crap:eek: . Actully, if it sounds good for "Metal" ....uh,,,, and ive played on and ... i guess if you had your own style and uh.... well the thing sucks for metal. IMO...... Check out some high output EMG'S. those things can get NASTY. and they are a good overall pickup to.

4. Eulogist

Eulogist

Nov 3, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    In that case, what's a metal bass that weighs 7lbs or less?

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I was just kidding about the "Lyte" statment. i mean, if it works for you. I guess you have back problems? whatever. i never worried about the weight, being a "Metal" bassist myself. But hey, i hear those bronco's are REALLY light.

6. Eulogist

Eulogist

Nov 3, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    No back trouble. I'm just always cutting flips and sh**.

7. TWISTED

TWISTED Guest

Sep 8, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    Yeah I have EMG's and they're awesome for getting a nice deep growly sound. But if you want to play through a distortion/overdrive pedal you'll find passive pickups sound warmer with distortion. So Bartollinis (they make a musicman shape humbucker)would be the go or the cheaper but still good option is Seymour Duncan Basslines.

8. Eulogist

Eulogist

Nov 3, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    TWISTED,
    That's a very good point I hadn't thought of yet. Do you think passive is better overall for distortion, because I'm not entirely sure if warm is what I'm going for?

9. For mucho aggressive sound you can't beat Basslines Quarter Pounders! There's both a P and J model. Very high output, very aggressive tone. You'll dig'em!

10. Velcro

Velcro Guest

Nov 6, 2002
    Philippines, Manila
    I have a Fender Precision Bass Lyte (the old version with the P/J pickups & 2 band preamp). I replaced my pickups with EMG P/J set...(without the knowledge that I should replace the preamp as well). My bass had a monstrous Volume output... it can overdrive any amp even the house mix. I found it good for metal yet it didn't sound good for mellower music. Now, I replaced the Volume & Pan Controls to PVolume & J Volume.. I replaced the BT Preamp to an 18V Aguilar OBP-1 Bass Treble preamp. Now my bass sounded mellower but fuller(wide headroom & frequency response), aggressive enough for metal.... in other words very versatile. EMGs are loud yet quiet(No hums of buzzes). IMO, they will work excellently played through a chain of effects. I would get an EMG P neck & a 35DC bridge... EMG BQC or an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp... if i were your shoes. FYI, the Music Man type pickups are positioned on the "Sweet spot"... it is positioned somewhere between the Fender jazz bass neck pup & Bridge pup. The position of the Pup greatly affects the tone too.... try to research on the Music man pup positioning.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'd say duncan basslines music man pickups. i have them on my 8 string basses, and they are loud, growly and full of attitude. they also handle the low frequencies very well - the 8's go down to low f# below low b, and the duncans handle it well.

12. TWISTED

TWISTED Guest

Sep 8, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    First of all you should go to a music store and try both an active bass and a passive bass through the same distortion unit, see what you think of them. It's up to personal preference and your ears.

I'll go into more detail of what I mean about passive Vs. active for distortion. The actives seem to lose alot of bottom end when heavily distorted (they don't loose much at low/mid gain) and sound somewhat like a distorted guitar but not quite as nice (as a guitar)which can be good if that is an effect you want. The passives don't seem to lose very much bottom end with dist. and it's more noticeable as a bass sound.

I've put quite a bit of trial and error into this caper (I borrowed a friends cheap passive bass) and I've decided to buy a passive bass so I'll have both styles at hand for different songs. Good luck though, the bass can be mind racking.

13. rickbass

Okay, I'll behave.

Yeah, John has the Basslines with ceramic magnets.

Whatever you get, active or passive, you definitely want ceramic magnets in them. Alnico mags aren't quite as "nasty" and "mean."

14. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I agree with the "Metal Lyte" comment...conjures images of Pat Boone in a studded leather biker vest...(Frankenstein voice)MMMMMNNNNNoooGooood!!!!!! Go with an alder body P bass with some Quarter Pounders.

15. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I'm a metal head too and stick with BARTOLINI pickups. Nothing else compares....they're expensive but totally worth every scrap of change you can muster.

I just replaced the stock Seymor Duncans from a Brian Moore bass to BART M-4's and the difference is incredible!

16. Eulogist

Eulogist

Nov 3, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The quarter-pounders are the humbuckers that look like a single coil, right? Would there be any advantage to putting two next to eachother to create something of a double humbucker?

17. rickbass

My guess is that one would load down the other. With pickups, "more" often equals "less."

The guys in "Luthiers Corner" forum would be the experts or Suburban or Hambone here.

18. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    No no my friend, i belive these have poles. VERY BIG ONE'S. I know what kind of p-bass pickups you are talking about though. If you do get a "Blade" p-bass pickup, your looking at a less defined sound, it's more "Smooth" sounding than a pole magnet setup. so if your going for meaness, i would guess to stay away from those blade or "bar" type p-bass pickups.

19. Eulogist

Eulogist

Nov 3, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    hate to sound like a dumbass, but i don't know what you mean by blade or bar p-pickups

20. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    They make alot of blade type pickups (Pickups without pole's,,, i belive it's one big strip) made for a ton of basses, but their not not that many for the p-bass, the one's with the name "Humbucker" for the p-bass are like that. You can see on some of them, they have two strips across them, in stead of pole's. You know jazz basses? the round metal thingy's on the pickups? poles. It's taken that pole magnets hit harder and more defiend, while blade or "Bar" type pickups are smoother but not as mean. Look at the pickup spec's, and ask what freq's it carry's to. i belive the newer P-Bass "Humbcuker" or "High output" type blade pickups have a midrange scoop thing going on.