The most succesful session bass player ever is..........

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Morris, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Morris

Morris Guest

Oct 7, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales
    Without a shadow of a doubt it has to be that awesome (and very tall) Welsh bassist Pino Palladino.

When you look at his career it is quite incredible. Can any other player's artist roll call compare with Pino's in terms of diversity and profile?

Ok folks here goes:

Dave Gilmour, Pete Townshend, Elton John, Phil Collins, Rod Stewart, Eric Clapton, Peter Cetera, Al Di Meola, BB King, David Sanborn, Steve Lukather, Steve Hackett, Gypsy Kings, The Who, Jimmy Smith, Peter Gabriel, Tina Turner, d'Angelo, Erykah Badu, Jeff Beck, Melissa Etheridge, Richie Samborra, Paul Young, Mike and the Mechanics, Bryan Ferry, Seal, Vinnie Colaiuta, David Crosby, Go West, Lou Gramm, Youssou N'dour, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Bee Gees, Rick Springfield, Chris DeBurgh, Paul Rodgers, Michael McDonald, Bob James, Richard Wright (Pink Floyd), Tony Banks (Genesis), Carly Simon, Don Henley, Celine Dion, Will Downing and Pavarotti!

Believe it or not this is just a partial list of the artists Pino has worked with. Not to mention being the house bass player at the London leg of Live Aid!

Does anyone know any other session bass player that has a comparable or greater list of credits?
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Will Lee, Anthony Jackson, Tony Levin, Tim Landers, Abe Laboriel and Joe Osborn might have C.V.s approaching that size.
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Just singing alone.....Will Lee has more than Pino, it dosen't matter though.....they are all great players:D
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

*Shivers uncontrollably and curls into fetal position at the thought of this turning into a Carol Kaye thread *

It's coming...

brad cook
  5. liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    How tall is Pino?
  6. Well, Lee Sklar has played on well over 2000 albums, so he's gotta be up there. Also Bob Babbitt, Joe Osbourne, David Hood, and James Jamerson have very impressive CV's.
  7. Morris

Morris Guest

Oct 7, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales
    I did'nt mean to start a boring thing here but if you look at the names Pino has played with, these are the really big players in the world music scene, the big payers, if you know what I mean. These and many others who I did'nt list are huge globally not just in that little fishpond of a music scene called the USA. Remember this post is about successful rather than prolific. These gigs are the real big ones. As research for my post I investigated the cv's of Will Lee, Tim Landers, Neil Stubenhaus and Joe Osborn, whilst these were all very impressive indeed I still reckon in terms of just huge stars Pino has got it (just!)
  8. Morris

Morris Guest

Oct 7, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales
    I think Pino is 6ft5 or 6ft6 I think!
  9. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Jerry Jermont, T-Bone Wolk,
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well if you're just talking about number of big people played with, I haven't seen Pino's discography but have you checked out Tony Levin's?

John Lennon, Pink Floyd, Peter Gabriel, King Crimson, Dire Straits, Laurie Anderson, Stevie Nicks, Lou Reed, Paul Simon, James Taylor, Richard Thompson, Tom Waits, Yes, Asia, Alice Cooper, Joan Armatrading, Peter Frampton, Steve Hackett, etc.... Those are just some of the names I pulled from the incomplete discography. Those are some pretty big hitters worldwide. If you look down the list you'll also see some names from Africa, Japan, Europe and probably some other places I'm missing.

Anyway...not saying that's more impressive than Pino's based on the stipulations that you gave because I don't know. That IS impressive though!

brad cook
  11. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    James Jamerson

most succesful in terms of innovation and influencing generations

TWISTED Guest

Sep 8, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    I'm sure they're all damn good on their basses. But most of the bands mentioned apart from Pavarotti are rock or blues, which are not particullarly technical forms of music.
  13. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Definitely...I was just going by the qualifications that Morris stated above when I mentioned Tony Levin. But if you're talking about session bassists that have had the greatest influence and innovation I can't think of a better candidate than Jamerson.

brad cook
  14. suchow

Mar 18, 2002
    New York, NY
    I've heard Pino is somewhere between 8'7" and 8'10".
  15. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I think a question that needs to be asked first is "How do you define 'succesful'?" Is it, as some have mentioned in this thread, the amount of people you've worked with? The stature of the artists? The amount of albums the artists have sold? Critically acclaim?

Personally, I think it's a moot point. Pino's up there in the "best 'o the best" catagory. So is TLev, Lee Skylar, Jamerson, Kaye, and the countless others already mentioned.

...and I've heard Pino is somewhere between 10'7" and 14'2". He gives Bill Blasky a run for his money. :D
  16. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well the Morris said he was talking about just having played with huge stars. So it sounds like he's defining it as the number of people he's played with of huge fame.

And you guys are ALL wrong about how tall Pino is. He's actually a midget standing on former NBA giant Manute Bol's shoulders. They work as a team. Manute is hidden under the clothes.

brad cook
  17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Neil Stubenhaus

Tim Landers

Joe Osborn

Neil Jason

Just mentioning some of the names that deserve to be on this list.
  18. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Arrrrr matey, 8'10" if he's an inch. Hair the color of fire. Stealy blue eyes that would make a shark cry for it's mama. Arms the size of tree trunks. Arrrrr, I 've heard of this Pino from which you speak. Yes a masterful groovemiester he is
  19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If playing with rock stars is the criteria (I love Pino), that's a good list. OTOH as far as varied, high level sidemen go, you'd be hard pressed to top this guy:

Guess who?