Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The MOST transparent sounding headphone amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ozzyman, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    What are the most transparent headphone amps? What I mean by transparent is that it sounds like your bass does acoustically. No coloration on your sound. I'm trying to get as much tone out of my bass without an amp, but it's is hard to hear my bass unless I play hard (which alters my tone greatly)
    So, I need an amp that can acurrately reproduce the sound that comes from my bass acoustically. I KNOW that pick-ups do change your sound alittle, but I'm going to have to live with that. BTW, I bypassed my pre-amp.

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Avalon U5, Raven Labs, Cafe Walter...

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Only one choice - CafeWalter HA-1

4. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Is the Cafe Walter battery powered only, or is there an option for an AC adapter?

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Battery powered with 2x9v batteries.

I couldn't live without it!

6. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    How often do you have to change the batteries (on average)?

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Not very often, they last quite a long time (depends on how much I practice) - but they use bugger all power and would change them about as often as the active battery in my bass.

8. I completely agree!

9. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I used to have an Avalon U-5,but I sold it and bought a Millennia TD-1! The Millennia is by far the best I have ever heard.

10. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Definitley the Raven Labs PHA-1. It is amazing how transparent it is. The PHA will give you the sound of your bass and point out any problems with your technique.

11. Mark - as I also live in the beautiful 'land down-under' :D I was wondering where and how much you paid for this gadget?

The number of times I'd just like to carry around a bass + portable amplification to quietly practice makes me seriously consider one of these... :hyper:

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think they are about $135USD plus about $10shipping so, all up about $145USD which is just shy of $200Aus at the current exchange rate.

I think Bass Northwest sells them as well as Steve "Dude" Barr c/0 the dudepit.

I got mine from Steve and despite him having is eccentricities, he is a top bloke to deal with! I have heard very good reports about BassNW as well, so either would be fine!

If you have a CafeWalter and an Ipod, you are in portable practice music heaven! :D

13. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
  14. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Another glowing review for the Walter - I've had the Raven PHA1, and even have the Avalon U5 sitting right next to the Walter, but the Walter wins every time for simplicity and transparency. You hear everything.

Plus Walter is a great guy!

15. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I chose the Raven for the features. Very nice sounding!

16. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I know that the folks at Raven Labs closed up shop a while back... anyone know of any places that still have the PHA1 in stock?