1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The most unbelievable musical output in a 2-year span

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    I just realized this.

The Beatles created Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, White Album, Yellow Submarine, Let It Be and Abbey Road in freaking 2 years (from mid '67 to mid '69).

2. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    They were released in a 2 year span, were they all recorded in that time period? If so, that's outrageous.

3. Merle Travis said people would come up to him and say how his tune Sixteen Tons meant so much to them, how he knew exactly how they felt as if he could read their minds, and he said it was no such thing. He said wrote a tune every day because it was his trade. He just got up in the morning and did it.

4. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    That's eerily similar to a famous McCartney quote!

"We write songs. We know what we mean by them. But in a week someone else says something about it, and you can't deny it. ... You put your own meaning at your own level to our songs."

5. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    It's also pretty wild to think they did Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, the Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane single and Magical Mystery Tour in two years. Four timeless LPs and a mindblowing single in the time it takes to get an associate's degree.

6. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    ...and all before any of them had turned 30 years of age.

7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The entire run of the Beatles' recording career was just eight years, from Love Me Do coming out in the UK in 1962 till their breakup in 1970 after Let It Be. Pick any two years from the eight and it's pretty astonishing what they managed to produce. Of course, after 1966 they had the advantage that they weren't touring any more.

Back then, you had an idea for a song, you walked into the studio and recorded it on the spot. All much simpler than modern recording. Look at early Motown, and how the Funk Brothers just cranked out tunes for all these vocal acts.

8. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Amazingly, while doing all this, they were also instrumental in the transition from that simple process to where the studio is another instrument to be played. Love Me Do took an afternoon to record, if I remember correctly. Sgt. Pepper took a great deal longer.

9. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I wonder if that frenetic pace hastened the breakup, and if they could have done anything to control it.

10. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    Most accounts attribute the breakup to an inevitable butting of egos between Lennon and McCartney, especially after Lennon met Yoko Ono and went all hippy crazy. With two great song writers like that in a single band, it always would have been hard to make it last.

11. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    There's a great biography of them by a guy named Bob Spitz. In the book, he does a great job of identifying the relationship dynamics that led to the breakup early on and highlighting them throughout their collective story. It's a terrific read, as well; I highly recommend it.

12. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    They also managed to release Hey Jude & Revolution during those 2 years.