1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The most usable bass effect is:

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johnnycat42, Aug 29, 2007.

1. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Okay, eliminate your Compressors, Tuners, Preamps, Distortion and Fuzz Pedals as we know alot of those are very usable. My question is, after those, what is the most usable bass effect in any band setting??? You, know the one that could be stepped on several times in one night.

I'll get back to you with my answer later since I have to think about this for a bit. :meh:

2. Ring modulation.

tell me a single song where it doesnt fit.

3. Chorus! Mine's on all the time.. and people always ask be how i get my sweet tone... could be the Sadowsky too tho :)

4. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Distortion of some sort, makes the biggest impact. Either that or the power switch on the amplifier. That works good, too.
    Friggin' AWESOME.

carl.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I gotta say, there's not much to be done with that question. Effects are not inherently useful at all, unless you have a specific tune or passage that calls for them. Even in an effects-heavy genre such as modern metal or 70's funk, the lines can be played dry. So as lovely as effects are, and as much as I enjoy them, I don't call any of them "useful".

6. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I am looking for one effect pedal to use for color in slower open passages to create a mood. So I am looking for one decent effect. It seems most of them make the bass muddy or they get lost in the mix and you dont really hear the effect anyway. I am curious if any of you found a pedal that you use ALL THE TIME in a real band setting that is not distortion, compression, Preamp or a Tuner.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Chorus is a good one IMO.

8. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Chorus or Phaser are the ones I have been thinking about so far.

9. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I like a little reverb and some analog delay. Its good for moody stuff. :bawl: :D

10. Thunderwood

Thunderwood

Mar 20, 2007
    Delafield, WI
    Chorus can be very usable without make a very drastic change in projection. I agree, If you are a slapper you may want just a little reverb as it can highlight the percussiveness of your attack.

IMO Best effects for bass:

Chorus
    Reverb
    Phaser
    E. Filter

11. Delay rocks!!

12. ph0rk

ph0rk

Feb 24, 2007
    A chorflangophase pedal, obviously.

13. waffle puzzle

waffle puzzle space and time coordinator

Aug 22, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    As far as "usefulness" goes, I'm sure, like all aspects of gear, it varies with the person. My latest trio is all instrumental, and dwell in the world of unconventional psychedelic sounds and noises, while trying to stay latched to a prog rock format.

While I basically played effectless in another rock band, this one I use ....
    rackmount chorus/reverb/flange unit, a multifx floor unit,
    2 delays, octaver, distortion, looper, tuner (acts as main on/off switch), wah with ring modulation, and envelope filter.

Granted, we are not pop music or even conventional. If you had to get one type of fx, I would get a floor multi-fx unit by Boss---they make a few different price level models.

14. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    There's NOTHING that fits in "any band setting" (except a tuner).

Eliminating comp, OD/dist/fuzz (who doesn't have a preamp in their signal chain???), the next most useful thing completely depends on your music. In some settings, an envelope filter is a requirement. Depending on the need, it also could be a chorus, octaver, delay, phaser...or anything else you can think of. Serving the music is job #1.

15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I guess if somebody was in a working covers band, the sort that does weddings and corporate events, it would be useful to have the effects that are most common in pop hits and classics. Taking that approach, I think a synth pedal might be most useful, followed by either an envelope filter or a fuzz. I've seen plenty of posts here from people saying "I joined a corporate covers band and they want me to play the synth bass part from X song", but I've never seen any similar requests where the band wanted them to play the "chorused bass part" or the "phased bass" part.

16. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    LOL - read that quote while looking at your avatar. :ninja:

And if you eliminate distortion and compression... I'd have to say phase/flange. It's delicious stuff.

Ring modulation... hehehe. :smug:

17. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Seems to be working now.

18. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    It definitely depends on the music. A little chorus for some jazz, filter for funk, phaser for psychedelic, maybe delay for any number of things.