Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The mother of all bass rigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew West, Feb 26, 2001.

1. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    While all those 10's are cute, looks like an awful lot of speaker for just 300 watts.

The Mother of all base rigs? Not likely, read my set up, John Turners and a few others. There are some real MOTHERS here.

Just my opinion of course.

Mike

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I can't even imagine it.

Kinda funny though, 300 watts into 17 10" speakers... as opposed to my 600 watts into 1 15" and 2 8"s...

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    300 watts is never under-estimated by anyone who's ever heard an SVT in its native environment! There's 300 watts here and 300 watts there and then there's 300 SVT watts.

4. hehe, that's for a 10" lover.. I go for 12's =P hehe

5. And keep in mind that when you hook up 16 (16 is more easy to math with that 17) speakers instead of 1, you get an increased efficiency as if you were feeding 4800 watts into that single speaker. Simple maths from a speaker tech head (did I say "ME"?:D)

Every time you double your number of speakers (identical ones) you get an increase of 3 dB, which equals twice the amp power :). Independant of the impedance.

So there.

On the other hand, I'd NEVER buy those cabs, even if I won the Dutch state lottery, which is now apx. 10 million US$. I'd build 6 more Bo*beeep*er Yellowstone 112 cabs. Stack 'm up high!

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Matthew- It seems like a market for, "The Elephant" may be shrinking. That is a mother! I saw a "barely used" SVT cab in the classifieds yesterday for $500.

I still wince when I think of my Fender 400 PS- 3-18" cabs @ 126lbs. each, 84lb head, 435W. I don't know what happended to them. Only place I've seen something about them is www.ampwares.com/ffg/index.html The 400 PS link is under "Fender Tube Amps" in the left column on the page.

7. Like I said, only with a road crew. :) And I'm usually a 15 man myself.

8. rickbass

That was the 70's. 18's were IT then.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey joris,

what kind of speakers are "Bo*beeep*er Yellowstone" cabs?

10. I think they used CTS 30 watt 10s,then changed to Celestion. Those 30 watters must have been very effecient. That must really be bass in your face, and balls, and pantlegs too! A lot of big guys played these with two cabs, or two SVT setups. Jason Newstead used one in a recent video (one stack only).There must be something to it, but I have never had the experience.

11. Hey Rick, Is it correct that you couldn't run the amp full, I mean you had to run 3 x 150 to get the 450? The amp was divided into three, right?

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!! That's awesome!!!!!!!!!!

13. If I only was Geezer....Aaahhhh...I could have a wall of em.

14. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    The 400 PS head had three outputs, each 145 watts. You are correct that you needed to hook up 3 cabinets to get the full power. However, that thought is scary - at least if you hook up the 18" folded horn Fender made for it. It was 2' x 2' x 4' and just one would rattle your teeth out with 135 watts. I played through the rig in the '70s and I remember the speaker "walking" across the floor at much less than full volume! I think I have a picture of the rig in an old Fender catalog around here.

- Mike

15. rickbass

ROCK- Yes, as MikeyD said. There were 3 speaker output jacks and an output tubes matching control so you could get max output.

When I hooked up ONLY two, (like if we were playing in a telephone booth :D ), you ran at 290W.

Funny thing was the only tubes it didn't eat like candy were six GE6550A's. Any other 6550's literally melted, I mean INCLUDING the the glass! :eek: The head came with a little rollling cart. If you didn't have pop-in/out casters you would see three cabs walking across the stage, literally. Turn around and find they weren't where you left them. When you took the 3 cabs and separated them by about 15' or so and turned the reverb way up, the effect was kind of cool.

Later, solid state became firmly established and I went with 3-15"s in one cab @ 450W which is the size of just one refrigerator.

16. You mean: what IDIOT would think of a brand name that has asterisks in it? :D

Or do you mean these:
    [​IMG]
    'cause those are Boulder Yellowstone 112s. You seen em before.

17. I came. I saw. It brought back memories but I still like my "Cyclops" much better.

18. For the love of Christ....(said with my best Sean Connery voice) that is ungodly Beautiful.....