1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Mothman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whitenoise17, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Whitenoise17

Whitenoise17

Aug 6, 2016
    East Side
    Some of you may know about the Mothman bass, some of you may not. For those of you who don't know, it's a five-string monster of a bass that has become almost as legendary as its namesake on the talkbass forums. I want to know:

Where did the Mothman bass come from? Who built it?
    And, where can I find it?
    If its exact location is not known, then is there a playable replica out there somewhere that is available for purchase?
    I ask because I quite like the shape of the bass, and I'm very interested in its origin. Any added information on the Mothman bass would be greatly appreciated. IMG_3481.JPG

Miles_ONeal, BBQisgood and Spectrum like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It's in a pawn shop in Northern Virginia I think.

There's a video floating around somewhere of it and it sounds horrible.

I have literally considered buying it and cutting it up so I can send my favorite TBers each a chunk. But I never get around to driving up there.

That bass is funny to talk about but it's a metric ton of bad ideas all slammed into one bass.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  3. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017

Here is a demo

GregC, BBQisgood, TolerancEJ and 4 others like this.
  4. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    The Mothman was built by a father & son outfit in Ohio, called Dark Hollow Instruments.
    There's still an old (abandoned and barely functional) Geocities site here: index

7056418mm2.

GregC, BBQisgood, gfen and 3 others like this.
  5. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I thought I saw it once on a camping trip. It was moving fast, but I snapped a pic. The villagers thought I was crazy.

mmforest.

Tade91, Ghastly, Bobro and 59 others like this.
  6. Whitenoise17

Whitenoise17

Aug 6, 2016
    East Side
    HAHA:roflmao:

BBQisgood and bassestkkm like this.
  7. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I knew you wouldn't believe me.

8. It was last seen in Action Music in Falls Church, Virginia, outside of DC, about 20 minutes drive from me through traffic. I took a photo and started a Mothman sighting thread here about a year and a half ago.

It haunts me to this day...

But honestly, looking at it up close it's pretty much junk. I don't even know if it's for sale or if they are just keeping it on display for conversation (it's a music shop, so I imagine everything has its price), but they don't list it on their website.

If you really like how it looks, find somebody to build you a replica that actually has some quality to it.

If anyone on TB actually find themselves in possession of it, however, you must immediately post here to report on its evil doings and keep a running update on where it is, what it's up to, and where you plan on gigging it so we can gather and see it in action!

TolerancEJ likes this.
  9. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Entwhistle Mothman. Jaco Mothman. Jamerson mothman.
    Tal Mothman.
    McCartney Mothman.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  10. Shhh!!!

bassestkkm likes this.
  11. Keep asking questions, that's how the Mothman ends up with your soul.............................

Bobro, Miles_ONeal, GregC and 9 others like this.
  12. Bwahahahahahahahahahaha

elgecko for the win.

Mothman bass has owned the souls of many of the greats. That is where they got their dark powers.
    Notice how several of them are already passed from the bonds of this mortal coil.

13. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    It is currently being protected by the evil souls of the Devils Forked Tongue basses and a couple of other subordinates:

IMG_0172_zps0b512807.

14. bigfoot-live3_zpsd41ea017.

15. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    TolerancEJ and BurnOut like this.
  16. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    mothman.

17. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Wow! Like just…wow!

All that time and effort to create the absolute antithesis of an electric bass.

It boggles the mind. :nailbiting:

18. I'm visiting America in a couple of months and am in the area. The Mothman legacy has been arouns since I first joined TB, tempted to go see the legend in the flesh...

Bobro, Miles_ONeal, JLY and 6 others like this.
  19. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    It's been nice knowing you ;)

20. Last time I was in Action Music Mothman was still there.