1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The music scene in Denver...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Eric Perry, Sep 20, 2008.

1. SUCKS!!!!!

:bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl::bawl:

2. Not that the rest of the world should or does give a rat's patoot about your opinion of our local music environment or mine, Denver's music scene--like most others--depends on your experience, your abilities, your musical preferences, your luck, etc.

Having said that, I certainly hope this type of "local whining" thread is banned or at least fails to catch on. I encourage other TB members to ignore it. (I know, he's free to post whatever he wants, within the rules, etc., etc.; but I'm similarly entitled to express my weariness of self-abasorbed whiners.)

Perhaps your compulsion to rail obtusely and childishly in an international chat room about your apparent disappointments provides some insight into the reason you experience those disappointments. Go to Red Rocks when it's empty if you choose to howl at the moon.

Bluesy Soul :eyebrow:

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    this thread not going in a useful direction.

try to be more respectful all around, or thread closure, etc. will follow. thanks.

4. Riiiiight. I'll rephrase to appease the curmudgeons. The music scene is flourishing here... If you want to play for free (or pay to play) in front of modest crowds at best. Financially speak, the music scene in Denver... SUCKS.

5. Sorry Bliss. Just expressing frustration, going from several very well paid and established bands in northeast PA to having offers involving little to NO money. It's pathetic here in that regard. Even the very established bands seem to make crap, based in info I've gotten from others. :(

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've been through the same thing more than once, Eric. My advice: take lessons. Not that you need it (but we all do), but find the guy who's working the most, take lessons from him, and more than likely you'll be on his sub list in a hurry. Then you'll have your pick of plenty of work.

7. Thanks Jon. I just moved here a few months ago, and have been trying to network as best I could. You're right though. It's disparaging, two established acts needing bassists have contacted me so far (from a Craigslist ad), and were pretty up front in saying they play for free, or play for the door and proceed to admit that their draw is not great enough to *really* pay them.

8. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    You are basing the "scene" on two bands? :meh:

Find a wedding or blues band in Denver then tell me you can't make money.

9. Those are two I had direct contact with. Through networking and speaking with many others (including our very own Jive1), the scene in Denver is very poor from a monetary standpoint.

Dude, I'm not a wedding band person. No disrespect to those who are, but it's not my thing. At all. I'd consider a blues gig, but I consider myself a club person. It's where all of my experience (20 years worth) is, and I was reimbursed very well in that genre. I'd rather not play than do a wedding gig. To each their own, right? :meh:

10. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I ask because the East Coast is very good for club bands and getting some kind of pay, whether it be door money or what not.

Sounds like you need to change the scene then by setting a higher standard for a club band. :D

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It does seem to be a shrinking pond in a lot of ways. I think Pacman has the best idea re: that.