Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the music you listen to/ the music you play

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blunk, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Blunk

Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone else has this kind of "dilemma" that i do.

I love to listen to bands like the chilis or the meters, they can always get me out of a bad mood. But the songs i play (and write myself) are metal songs. I cannot play the kinda funk that i like to listen to...its really odd...i remember reading an interview with Dave Grohl (i think it was about his sideproject Probot) and he was saying he's a huge death metal fan - but he can't write good death metal songs.

(i am in no way drawing any correlations between myself and dave! :D )

I can't write good funk songs, but i can write good metal songs (not just my opinion, i've been told before by others..*squeezes head to stop it swelling* ;) )

But i don't listen to that much metal, i just really enjoy playing it! I don't know what's going on anymore.

2. Heheh , a lot of bassists make the mistake of trying to play like the music they listen to. If you're songs sound metal , and they're good , then wheres the problem ?

Alternativley , just listen to as much funk as you can , non stop , until it clicks . Thats how I learned other styles of music , like....ah , can't bring myself to say it.........jazz. YUCK.

3. I've been in this dilemma and it drove me crazy!

I always wanted to write punk-rock, (ramones style) then make it have that melodic (?) energy, that no matter hwat was beeing sung, it made you feel good 'reved up and ready go'.

Well I guess, just keep practising your music, play lots of band's music. It'll click, like when your just warming up playing a scale, you'll get this melody in your head, and you'll play it. You'll be happy. it work for me!! :D

4. Blunk

Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    I decided to spend the day listening to chilis albums, i didn't feel like doing much else!

I kinda worked out a nice funky song, that's a mix of get up and jump and shallow be thy game.

It sounds good, a few friends said it sounded good but i didn't feel *that* happy with it, i think its because i'm trying to imitate the sound i love to listen to and its not possible! :(

It'll all work out in the end!!!

5. Yep, this is what happend to me!

Just try jamming by yourself. As if you were improvising, use your teqniques, and knowledge of theory, and let your fingers do the thinking. You'll pick out bits, and once you got a Phrase, it's easy to get the Answer :)

6. I have just recently got over this problem myself.

I did it by jaming over the top of less difficult songs that you like, I did it over some of the easier chili pepper songs.
    For me this got me clicked into the right frame of mined to right funkier bass lines that my friends liked.

This worked for me and could just be what you need to right the kind of music you like to listen to! Even if it doesn't work, it was worth trying!

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I suggest that you listen to music for research purposes as well as a 'fan'. A musician will always be influenced by whom they listen to not themselves. I bet Flea doesn't listen to Chilli's albums for inspiration.

You might want to try listening to Parliament (AKA George Clinton). It's extremely funky and worth a listen. You might not like it in a conventional sense (I don't) but it will give you an idea of where modern funk/fusion bands are coming from.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

A vast amount of the music I listen to, doesn't even have bass or bass guitar in it!

So CDs of String Quartets, Piano solo music, Choral music etc. I couldn't even play it if I wanted to!

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Oh look, Bruce, a composition thread... :p

Blunk, you might try playing different styles of music. If you want to play funk, have you ever tried dissecting funk tunes and working out what makes them tick? Listen, and listen closely - and transcribe. Work out what they're doing in terms of harmony, melody, and rhythm, texture, and feel. If you can only write one specific style of music, you might find that your songs get samey and stagnant. Composers look to create new sounds and ideas, rather than sticking to one style. If you wanna be serious about writing songs, listen to many different kinds of music. As many as possible - even if you don't have any intention of writing in that style. Listen to Jazz and Classical and see if you can learn anything you can apply to your Metal songs. You can still be influenced. I'm not planning on writing piano concertos, but I listen to Rachmaninov.