1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Musician's Institute

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by patplaysbass, Jun 12, 2012.

1. I'm transferring to MI and hopped on the forums to see what TalkBass-ers know about the school... apparently we don't know much. As far as I could tell at least. Which isn't to say I'm planning on attending a school that I know nothing about, because I've researched it extensively and have also been out to check it out in person. I have to say, it's pretty impressive! A great facility, prime location (downtown Hollywood), and one-on-one instruction with Stu Hamm, to name a few selling points. The only thing is, they don't say much by way of audition requirements. And by that, I mean it lists what you need for every program EXCEPT for the Bachelor's degree (which is what I'm applying for). All that the application says is along the lines of "fill out this form and send it in, then we'll send you your audition requirements." So are there any current students or alum who remember what they were? If not... I guess I'll pioneer it and keep everyone posted!

2. Bueller? Bueller?

3. mcglyph

mcglyph

Aug 17, 2011
    Neither MI nor Berklee gets much commenting here. Specifically the online curriculum offered by Berklee, which I attempted to get clarification, and information on. Best of luck, and WHEN you go, please keep a blog or something, so we all can follow your progress, and success. Peace.

4. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Inactive

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    For schools like this, the audition requirement is usually whether you can pay the tuition or not.

Looks like it comes in close to $30,000 per year, plus living expenses in L.A (another $10-15K, unless you can live on peanut butter and mac 'n cheese while sleeping on a bus bench). Yikes!

Too much.

5. elshunko

elshunko

Jun 25, 2010
    Let me first say I did not attend MI, however I know several people who have. All have spoken highly of the school (With the exception of expense, but nothing is free). If you are looking in the Los Angeles area, may I suggest you check out the Los Angeles Music Academy. I also have known people to speak well of that school also. I also did not attend that school and I am not trying to recruit you. I hope you find what fits your needs and desire.

6. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    What were your questions about Berklee's online curriculum? I'm an alumnus of their producing program.

7. In regards to MI, If you have the $$ money you're in.. Then it's up to you to learn..There are some outstanding instructors there and they are happy to teach you if you want to learn. If you are lazy they'll take your money, pat you on the back , tell you you're great and continue to take your money..In other words you'll get out of it what you put into it. Have you looked into Jeff Berlin's Players School of Music in Clearwater Florida??

8. What I've seen on the internet (not just TB) seems to be exactly what you guys are saying- you get out of it what you put into it. I've looked at the Player's School, Berklee online, and a few other places, but my parents are dead set on me getting a bachelor's degree. I've tried explaining that they are practically invalid in the music industry, since no one cares about what piece of paper you have once you're on stage. I am, however, extremely fortunate in the sense that they are supportive of me pursuing a career as a musician and willing to help fund going to a school like MI. Basically it boiled down to that or Berklee, and while I certainly respect and appreciate jazz, it isn't exactly my style. Plus the heart of LA is prime location, as expensive as it may be. So thanks for the reassurance audition-wise, I'll keep the forums posted with what the school is like!

9. elshunko

elshunko

Jun 25, 2010
    Great. If you work hard you'll get a lot out of it.

I don't know how much you know about LA, but it is a big town, much bigger then Hollywood. In fact I would say OC is just as important and there are great places in both towns.

10. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Inactive

Nov 13, 2009
    Be careful with Bachelor's Degrees from FOR PROFIT SCHOOLS, which is what MI is. They often are not even worth the paper they are printed on as far as using them to get an advanced degree.

You are correct about no one caring whether you have a music degree in the performance world.

If your parents will cough up $30K, go to a REAL school in LA and take private lessons from Stu Hamm.

11. elshunko

elshunko

Jun 25, 2010
    I have forgotten what college they work with but the credit for grad and undergrad are different. If I remember correctly, basically you get an AA from the community college and then BA from MI. At least that's the way I remember from checking it out many many years ago.

So the "Credit" is good, but is the degree worth anything? No, probably not, but then again what degree means anything anymore? Knowledge is the goal and that is valuable.

12. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Inactive

Nov 13, 2009
    The AA portion is from Los Angeles City College. One might not be able to transfer all those credits into a CA university or out-of-state school. Do your due diligence. Also, be aware that since the MASSIVE money cutbacks for education in CA, reduced class availability and the 'required' classes are not always available when you want them.

FOR PROFIT SCHOOLS rely heavily on student loans - which is why the tuition costs are astronomical (OPM drives the prices). Can you handle this burden 5, 10, 20 years into your post-college career?

13. elshunko

elshunko

Jun 25, 2010

14. Mykk

Mykk

Aug 22, 2010
    Prescott, AZ
    From my experience with living in Hollywood and working as a studio/session player as well as being a member in bands. Most bands here won't play & work with an MI student or grad.

I checked out the school. I decided to not go because there wasn't a strong job placement program.

The school itself has a bit of an interesting air or feeling about it. Being located in the middle of tourist trap Hollywood Blvd in the middle retail shops makes the school itself feel a bit like a 'tourist rip off'.

15. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    re: Bachelor's degreee -- It may not mean much in performance, but a lot of musicians's supplement their income teaching and while private lessons again, it may not mean much, but in much of academia, inclkuding community college, it's likely required to get a teaching position.

16. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Inactive

Nov 13, 2009
    Most likely true. But a BM from MI or CSUN (as an example)? CSUN would have more weight. Probably a lot less expensive too - not just in money, but wear-n-tear on yourself. Having lived in L.A. for a VERY long time, Hollywood is the last place I'd want to call "home".

17. Why is that? A good musician is a good musician, no matter what their background is.

18. Agreed.

19. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    the only mi guys i know set up guitars shipped here from southeast asia for 14 dollars an hour, i don't imagine it's easy to pay your college loans bringing in that kind of cash

20. Mykk

Mykk

Aug 22, 2010
    Prescott, AZ
    I know it... it's usually Singer/Frontman who have said they would rather not play with MI folks. Perhaps they are afraid of head butting egos instead of submissive band members... I don't know.