1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Musicians Life and Journey

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by markjazzbassist, May 12, 2006.

1. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i have been thinking a lot lately about the path that we musicians take. Much like life and other hobbies it seems that we grow and become more knowledgeable as we get older and more experienced yet we never attain perfection. That lack of perfection maybe what drives some of us to jam more and practice harder, it maybe a stumbling block for some who can't deal with it and quit, or hopefully we just deal with it and don't let it bother us. I just was thinking about this stuff, just wondering if anyone wonders about these kinda things too. I'll leave with a quote by one of my buddies -

"Being a musician is just like driving on the freeway, there's always going to be people ahead of you, and there's always going to be people behind you. You need to just be satisfied with where you're at to get the most out of your playing" - my buddy Herb Veith

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    As we play better we hear better. So... we hear things that we didn't used to hear. This means that 'perfection' is an ideal that is moving ahead of us as we improve. (ever hear a performer that was miles ahead of you, talk to them and find out that they felt that had a lot of work to do?)

Perfection will never be attained by anyone who is seriously listening to themselves. So, don't obsess with it... it really doen't exist. Just try to be better today than yesterday.... and have a plan for tomorrow.

3. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH

great thought:)