The MusicMan Sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zirc, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Is there anything I can do to my MIM Jazz (cheap way) to make it sound more like a MM Stingray?

Or should I just save (expensive way) $1500 dollars for one :(
  2. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    If you really wanted that MM sound, you could have an MM pickup and preamp installed, but that would involve some extensive routing.
  3. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    how much would that be, and where could I get that done?
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well if you were good at routing and electronics - it wouldn't cost THAT much. if I were you i'd get a good humbucking neck pickup (american deluxe probably) and a 3 coil musicman pickup (like off a sterling) and then some kind of preamp (j-retro would be smoking!)

i'd guess labor would be about 100 bucks if you didn't do it yourself.

5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No matter what kind of mod you do, a Mexican J will never sound quite like a 'Ray. Wood, design, exact position of p/u, etc. all contribute to the signature sound.

You can get a new 'Ray for a lot less than 15 bills. Check or And there's used ones on Ebay all the time for about 8 or so.
  6. lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    I'd keep your Jazz, as is. Then, look on ebay for a nice used MM Ray or Sterling. I found a Sterling that had been used for 2 weeks (mint condition) for $850. Everything was included, even the warranty card.

If you have both of the both of the basses, then you be able to have both the Jazz and the MM sound at your disposal. You will be a tone monster! :D
  7. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I'm left handed

Majority of new Rays are $1500

Plus it's hard as hell to get a used lefty ray.
  8. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    not true. majority of Rays new in the U.S can usually be had for less than $1500.. unless you get the matching headstock and upgraded pickguard and piezo pickups installed.

I got my Ray 5 for (tax included) $1401, and my Ray has matching headstock and a black perloid pickguard.. They had it priced for $1600. (too high).. and I got them down to $1325.. then of course tax it was 1401... you can get one used for less a grand
  9. I got my lefty stingray 5 new through a dealer (local music store) for $1200.00 total, including tax.

If the salesperson really wants the sale, he'll give it to you for a good price. I told him I had $1200 max to spend, take it or leave it. He took it.

This did NOT include a hardshell case, however. And I had to wait 3-4 months for the bass to be built, as leftys are hard to come by in stock. The plus there is you can choose your finish and fingerboard wood.
  10. 98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    I just got a quote from

For a little more than what you'd pay for a used MM on e-bay, you can get a new one from those guys.

I'm seriously debating whether I want to spend some money on a new bass.

11. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001

My bass came with a hardshell case also... just thought i'd add ;)
  12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    It looks like you're on a budget (aren't we all!).

I've been hearing rumors of a local that took an OLP knockoff and installed an active tone circuit, and managed to get about 80% of the 'Ray sound on the cheap. I've been trying to find more info, and will report back if I hear more.

But, are OLPs made lefty?
  13. Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I would talk to basscentral and ask them for a couple of prices. You will be suprised at how cheap you can get a new mm with matching headstock and pearloid pickgaurd. I was having the same thoughts you were, but I decided that if I wanted a mm I should buy one. I looked used but I couldn't justify saving only $200 and not getting exactly what I wanted.

no shame
  14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    EQ, baby!

The original StingRay had 2 band boost only EQ and noone I know runs the knobs at 0 (flat), so a good portion of the sound is boosted lows and high.

The newer 3-band EQ allows boost and cut, but still most people crank 'em up.

A good EQ choice would be Sadowsky's unit, which is also two bands, boost only. About $250 I think and now available in a stomp box version.

Then, rewire the two J pickups in series (stock is parallel). This involves moving two wires and disables one of the volume controls. This acts like a single humbucker like the MM. Although it's not going to sound exactly the same, it will get you closer to the sound.

So a good EQ and a pickup rewire is the poor man's approach. :cool:

Good luck!

P.S. used StingRays can be found for $6-700 if you nose around, compared to spending $250 on an EQ you could get the real deal. All depends on your budget!