1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Mustang Sallly threads to end all Mustang Sally threads!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Stinsok, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    If you are a cover band and play for adults (and money) you just need to get over yourself and play it. I know you think it sucks and probably played it a million times but people love that song.

I subbed for a friend last night at a high end wedding reception. That stupid song killed. It's only 3 or 4 minutes out of your life. If you have had a negative experience playing it please post!

2. Mustang Sally is and will always be firmly on my no-play list. Until it comes up in the set list. But afterwards it goes right back on the list.

In all seriousness, the band I've recently joined in now does it. We have 6 people and 4 mics in the band, so we do harmonies and have fun with it. One of the guitarists doubles on sax, so that adds a lot to it. It's actually kinda fun. I will say that it's the version I've hated the least in a long time.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Some folks just don't get it! If you're in a corporate level, "Top40" cover band and you have musicians refusing to play songs.........buh bye! I don't have time for that nonsense! You're messing with my money! It's a business. Clients want it. Give it to them. Get over yourselves!

You have any idea how many times at a wedding or private event somebody has come up to the band with a $50 or $100 bill and said "play Mustang Sally"?

I'm playing it! Period!

4. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I never really understood the "Hate" for the song.

I like it, I like playing it, people like listening to it,
    That equates to a Good song in my opinion!

5. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    A buddy of mine is in a band that plays requests, but if nobody dances, they play the song as a polka. Last time I sat in with them, someone requested Mustang Sally and we played it as a polka. Woot!

6. This.

If you're a creative artist who is not centered on the needs of a particular audience, and you could care less if people judge your entertainment value by whether or not you pack a dance floor with crowd-pleasing standards, that's one thing.

(Of course, I always get a giggle out of cover bands who claim to be creative artists, but that's another story.)

If you're beholden to the expectations of a demanding client who wants you to get their middle-of-the-road party crowd on the floor and having fun, and you are being paid for it, you had better give the customer what he or she wants.

And 99% of the time, "Mustang Sally" and similarly overplayed songs are exactly what the client and guests want. As musicians, we may be tired of it. But the average person never tires of some of these songs. Think like them, cater to them, and the popularity, gigs, and money rolls in.

Too much of an idealistic artiste for that action? Fine by me. I'll take the booking and the money, you can go be an artiste.

7. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    I guess I'm tired of it because I'm the one who usually sings it and have played it at almost every gig for the past six years. However it always gets people up dancing and singing along. In my current band the harmonica player takes his wireless mic into the crowd and has them sing along with the "ride sally ride" part, which really gets them involved and enjoying it.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yup, I'm all for giving the audience what it wants. I'd play Mustang Sally, Sweet Home Alabama and Brown Eyed Girl every night without issue if they were in my band's setlist. So far its only SHA.

9. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

I recently had to do "Sweet Caroline", by request of course, and it was best-received song of the gig. There's something not right about that.

10. I actually haven't done Mustang Sally since my high school band in the late '60s, and would enjoy doing it again.

But I don't think I can persuade the rest of the band ...

11. oh, and by the way, I saw this a few days ago on the streets of Brooklyn near my house, but I'm told that it's a '66 not a '65 (which of course makes all the difference):

mustangashx.

12. Upright4

Upright4

Mar 7, 2010
    I was in Bangkok on R&R from Vietnam and I sat in with a band at a "nightclub." About 20 years later, I was at a resort in Indonesia and sat in with a band there. Both times the tune was Mustang Sally (and both times were great fun).

13. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Not my favorite tune, but then again... 5 minutes of that hot brunette dancing in front of me last night was a good trade off. Good time to go into Bill Wyman mode and enjoy the scenery.

14. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Why the hate for the song? Because of the simple bass line? Hell it's a great song! Why don't someone complain about playing Jailbreak, Old Time Rock n Roll, Get a Hair Cut, etc... Just three of hundreds of songs with overly simple bass lines but are iconic songs just the same!:confused:

15. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    I couldn't find it on youtube but there was a video on SNL consisting of a composite of various cocktail piano players playing Misty (a staple in every cocktail piano player's quiver at the time.) I think a comparable expose of various bands performing Mustang Sally could be fun. Has it been done?

16. Not Mustang Sally but same idea... I remember a gentleman (or whatever) paying us $100 if he could sing Blue Suede Shoes and Wooly Bully which he proceeded to slur through randomly changing between songs when he forgot the words.

I can't say I hate songs like that. They take pretty much take no practice and you can be pretty drunk and still pull them off. I've made way more money playing those than any originals.

17. soulman969

soulman969 SUSPENDED

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Lake Placid Blue Mustang the exact same shade as one of my Teles and my old 66 Jazz Bass too.

Mustang Sally is a great song by an all time great Southern Soul R&B artist backed by a superb rhythm section but be honest with yourselves guys, how many of you play in a band that plays it the way they recorded it?

Most of the time it comes across as a way too fast warmed over rock number which it's NOT. If as band challenges itself to play the song like it should be played with that half tempo shuffling feel those Muscle Shoals guys gave it and Pickett sang it like then maybe it would be a lot more enjoyable to do.

Not many songs get butchered as badly by cover bands as that one. Nobody want to play it so it gets little attention and no soul and that's what it is. A soul tune, not a rocker. :rollno:

18. OK, due to the privacy settings, the best that I can do is give this Facebook address, and direct you to check out a decent live band karaoke performance, and see if you like our treatment of it:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/283079945078730/

The vid is the newest item on the wall.

19. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Like many others, if I have the option of not playing it, I'll try not to get it in the set list. But I know that it's a guaranteed crowd pleaser, and is handy to pull out the bag if needed, or requested.

We do have a little fun with it though, and do a call and response thing with the 'ride sally ride' to get the audience involved.

20. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    The day Mustang Sally finds its way to our set list, I'll leave the band.

It has nothing to do with taking things too seriously blah blah blah, nor do I really hate the song, but I do hate people requesting the exact same songs every single time they go out to hear live music. Around here that usually means Mustang Sally, Cocaine, and pretty much anyhing Creedence.

Yes, we do get paid to play, but that doesn't mean people are entitled to dictate our set list. They know what we play when they book us.