1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

the mutilated Fender 5ers I love: Cygnus and 1-eyed Jack

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lomo, Dec 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I love the Fender J sound, with both pups on full and the tone knob at max. I hate batteries and have no use for a preamp. I like to control everything but volume from the head alone. I see elegance in simplicity. Having found 2 USA Deluxe Fender 5er keepers over the years (a 2014 Dimension and an early 2000s J) I asked my favorite Luthier (Michel Fournel in Montreal) to remove the preamps and hard wire them each with both pups on full and no tone knob. The volume knob on each is pups parallel when down and can be pulled for pups in series. The Dimension needed a new pickguard (faux leopard) and the J Dlxe needed a new control plate, which I had him make out of black plastic. They were both pretty light. Now the black one (Cygnus) is 8.9 lbs and the red one (One Eyed Jack) is 8 lbs even. Cygnus had a 5 position pickup selector and 3-band eq, but the one tone that's the sound in my head is the bridge coil on the neck pup and the neck coil on the bridge pup....I think that's pretty close to 70s J spacing and that's how it's wired. I still have all the original parts and the mods entailed no permanent changes. I loves 'em both!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Attached Files:

2. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
    Very cool looking basses! Kudos!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. callmejs

callmejs

Mar 2, 2009
    Montreal
    So basically, it's parallel or series on each and that's it. Interesting exercise in simplicity... You plug in and bang, your favorite sound. Nice.

When playing these basses, are you tweaking the settings on your amp more often than before or those are also pretty much set as well?

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Those basses certainly reflect you, Lomo!;)

5. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    The dimension looks really cool.

6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I have figured out what settings I like for each bass through a given rig and that's what I use. After the initial experimenting, now it's set and forget. Fewer knobs at my fingertips means less twiddling.

callmejs likes this.
  7. callmejs

callmejs

Mar 2, 2009
    Montreal
    Black body with this pick guard makes Cygnus quite a eye catcher, very very nice!

8. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    They remind me of the electronics on basses during the 80's, when the one pickup, one knob craze swept the rock world. My old p bass with pj pickups is still set up that way, one volume for each pickup, tone on full.

I'm going to rewire it as I miss the versatility of having the tone control. Been saying that for 20 years now.. ;).

I think this is the year though.

lomo likes this.
  9. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Modification is not mutilation. It's customization for you, the owner and player. The chances of any bass I own not being modded in some way, short of a collector's or rare instrument,of course, are next to nil. I'm like the guy down the street always tinkering with his ride to get what he wants out of it. It's the spirit of Leo Fender, inveterate tinkering to always make things better.
    Enjoy the lomo signature J5.

JGbassman likes this.