1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The "My Amp Is Bigger Than My Cab" Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jefenator, May 8, 2010.

1. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    To become a member:

• You must actually use the rig on a gig.
    • The amp head must be significantly larger than the speaker cabinet in at least one dimension. (Special honors if your amp actually exceeds the cab in cubic inches.)

Here's my submission:

sunn_acme.

2. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

Apr 28, 2010
    O'Fallon, IL
    That's gonna be hard, because my head is a Little Mark Tube. Anyone know where I can get a 3" speaker that'll handle 500 watts?

3. i dout there will be more than a douzen members for this club.

4. Not bigger, but my head weighs about 20lbs more than the cab. Hopefully going to sell the cab soon though. Picking up an Ampeg 810 on Monday... I'll be happy again if it happens.

schroeder01.

5. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Yeah a club like this always forms after 2AM.

AMP - CAB try and beat this.

Attached Files:

6. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I know the trend is to down size cabs and heads and make the whole rig weigh less. "why not switch to guitar?"

7. epic!

epic!

Jan 16, 2010
    my bassman 300 wont sit atop my 8x10. ill post pictures later

8. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Hey Jefenator,

Is that a Sunn 200S? I had one way back when, but it didn't have a red front.

9. was gonna be tough I use a markbass F1 but I am switching to a iem so I guess my direct box is bigger than my iems?

10. Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    It is indeed a Sunn 200S. The red front was probably done by a previous owner. (Was going to maybe restore it to stock but I'm starting to kind of like it.)

It can still rock the house with a large, efficient 4 ohm cab. With that inefficient little Acme... not so much. Had to try it though. :D

This is a much more sensible pairing:

acme_b-1.

But hardly appropriate for the "My Amp Is Bigger Than My Cab" club. :cool:

11. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Nice Sunn rig. I had a setup similar to that, and the top heaviness drove me nuts visually.

:)

12. TIMD

TIMD

Dec 8, 2009
    Houston
    I play an Ampeg SVT through a Genz Benz neo 212 for any small to medium sized gig. I have to position the head just right so the feet will sit flat on the cab. Looks like crap but sounds great.

Attached Files:

13. Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    v4b_acme.

I just unwrapped my new-to-me early '70s Ampeg V-4B. It's considerably bigger and heavier than that Sunn, and at least here in my office, it drives the tiny Acme a lot harder.

I will definitely try this pairing on a gig soon, though I'd be lying if I were to say they're going to be frequent gig mates. (The 2x12 on the other hand - say hello to your new head...)

14. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    If mass is a dimension that's permitted, my racked SVT-II head is a torturous beast to move, while either of my cabs (Ampeg SVT15E or Bergantino NV610) are much more mobile and reasonably weighted.

15. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Why would anyone need that many heads for one gig?

16. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I used to have one of those too. I'm not kidding! Must have been a different year because the face was a little different. All black rocker switches, I think. And I had the refrigerator bottom, so it wouldn't have made it into this club.