The mysteries of the Fender BXR115 (made in USA)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McKind, Apr 6, 2022.

1. hi all,
    for the very first time, I could not find the piece of info I was looking for, so I'm posting a new thread.
    A few months ago, I bought a Fender BXR 115 Cab (150W/8Ohm), one of those made in USA.
    I'm pretty happy with the sound, vintage, with a nice deep end, but rich in overtones. Much more that the Ashdown 410T, which I got rid of.
    Long story short, I was looking inside of this Cab. I discovered that there is no crossover, whatsoever. And the 2 Tweeters lack the magnet. please have a look at the pictures.
    I'm not saying that they do not work -they do work and pretty well- but that I have no clue how it is possible that they work!
    I hope someone here is able to solve these mysteries. I forgot to mention -but it's pretty obvious- that I could not find any detailed info about this Cab in the web.
    Thanks in advance!

Screenshot 2022-04-06 at 15.36.23.jpg Screenshot 2022-04-06 at 15.36.30.jpg

2. Interesting! From my own googling, I'm pretty sure it's just that piezo tweeters don't have a magnet—they have crystals that bend depending on voltage.
    Tweeter - Wikipedia

And it seems like the wisdom is that you totally don't need a crossover with a piezo tweeter—unless you, maybe for some reason, want it to sound good.
    piezoelectric tweeters with crossovers.

I have a BXR 4x10 (no tweeter) from that era that really surprised me in terms of tone. I picked it up for something like $60 (4 or 5 years ago), and I was going to just use it temporarily and/or turn it into a cat tower or something. But I actually like it. I wound up replacing the speakers and adding some batting, but the stock speakers were working surprisingly well for me. I think it's only like 50 or 60 lbs (not light exactly, but no hunk of heavy mdf).

spatters likes this.
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Those are piezo tweeters, and when chosen well among with a suitable low frequency driver can work quite well.

spatters likes this.
  4. thanks a lot guys. I saw the piezo tweeter on wiki, but superficially I thought it was a relative new entry, and not something that was in use in the 80s-90s...
    Concerning the quality, this Cab is built with multilayer marine plywood, something that you do not see often in budget cabinets.
    I paid it 70€, which is fair enough even for using as a cat tower (considering the price that those things currently have... crazy), but very little for the sound that comes out. Now I'm coupling it with another BXR115B, this time MIM. I hope I won't be disappointed (I'm picking it up tomorrow)

agedhorse and Rumfoord like this.