1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Mysterious Sonic Stomp -- Why...?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Vinnyboonbots, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Vinnyboonbots

Vinnyboonbots Banned

May 25, 2012
    ...is it that whenever I set it up through the effects loop it sucks the tone out of the bass. But when I go direct into it and then out into the input jack...WOW!!! It REALLY makes the sound come alive.

Some people say it's just an EQ. Well, if it is, it's the most amazing (and silent) EQ I've ever used. But I don't want to debate its merits. I want to understand this oddity.

Has anyone else noticed this?

2. Vinnyboonbots

Vinnyboonbots Banned

May 25, 2012
    Thanks, but that's not it. All my other effects work normally. (Yes, there may be a weaker signal or even a bit of noise, but the effects do what they do). But with the Sonic Stomp it seems to actually REMOVE the tone it's supposed to add when going through the effects loop. And pretty dramatically. It's very odd.

I think anyone who has not played it directly in has not really heard what it can do.

3. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    well given that you shouldn't be using stomp box effects in the effects loop of your amp generally, why sweat it? It sounds good where it's supposed to go. I'm gonna guess that the weaker signal present when using the pedal in the effects loop is exactly what you're hearing as tone loss, even though you say otherwise. Maybe someone who understands the science of it better than I do will post in here.

4. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    yes you have discovered that effects loops on amps are worthless.

soon after some time you may discover the same for the sonic stomp. since it weakens a signal in a effect loop, I would say pedal sucks or loop sucks or both.

most effects work fine straight in, effects loops are mainly for delay based effects mainly reverb. to put them post gain/distortion and eq.

unless your talking effect loops/ parallel loops/ side chains for routing effects and combinations...whole different story

5. Vinnyboonbots

Vinnyboonbots Banned

May 25, 2012
    Hmmm, never thought of going right into the effects and out into the amp, but sure, why not? Interesting. Though, I never noticed a problem with other effects, but I'm going to see if that improves the sound. (They do suggest in the literature using the STomp Box in the effects loop -- a huge chunk of bad information IMO)>

BTW, I'm not really an "effects" guy so much -- fiddled with many, but felt they ALL compromised the sound. Other than a chorus that I use once in a blue moon, everything else is "on" all the time -- EQ, Limiter, tuner and now the sonic stomp. For anyone who likes a clean, clear sound and can use a little extra power, I'd highly recommend the sonic stomp. But if you you're an over drive guy you'll probably hate it. It's almost the ANTI-VST pedal. lol

6. Anaughtybear

Anaughtybear Guest

Apr 3, 2012
    Fargo, ND
    Through the effects and into the amp was all we ever did. I've never used an effects loop in 20 years. There could be magic gnomes in that socket for all I know.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Most amps that have effects loops built in, are line level, (like rack efects are), where stomp boxes are instrument level, and therefore meant to be run directly into the amps input, NOT the loop.

8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I disagree. I run my line level items (tuners, compression) through my effects loop and am satisfied. Effects loop can be especially helpful when wanting to specifically pound power tubes with an effect as opposed to having to drive the preamp first.