1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The mystery revealed: What is 'brazilwood'?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by toman, Dec 23, 2003.

1. I don't know why I never thought of it before, with all the time I've spent around instruments and various forms of woodworking, but I just realized there's no such wood as this 'brazilwood' stuff. At least as far as I can tell; so what gives? Is brazilwood just some one-name-fits-all for less expensive, possible unidentifyable hardwoods that bows can be made from? Or am I just crazy, and I can walk down to my local woodcrafters shop and buy a few board feet of high grade brazilwood... :D

2. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    toman, I find myself in the same boat. Been around woodworking forever and I had never heard of "brazilwood" until I started hanging around the bowed instrument world.

This from AllRefer.com:

The thing seems to be the genus Caesalpinia. Related woods from the same genus are bonduc, brazilian ironwood, peachwood, pernambuco. I think also the brazilnut (the filbert, also formerly known by a nasty old racist name I won't repeat here) comes from a tree of this genus.

The things you can learn on a slow morning using Google. The mind boogles.