1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The name "Jazz" & "Precision". What's the thought behind it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Linkert, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    I do NOT want this thread to become another "P vs J" thread that never ends!
    Yes, i have searched but i seem to suck at it and can't find a discussion about the subject. Anyway, this is a forum, can't hurt with more discussion.

I want you all to discuss what the title says. What was Leo's thoughts behind the names?
    I think they makes no sense. Maybe the precision was about "a bass with frets = intonation made easy?
    Can't even guess how he came up with Jazz bass name..

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Yes, the precision bass name was a marketing tool to communicate that a normal player would be able to easily play 'precisely' with it.

3. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    and Jazz was just a comercial move for Jazzists to buy it.

4. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Cool.

Sure about the jazz mikio? Nothing to do with the tone at all?

5. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    The P-Bass was named Precision because it has frets, so your intonation will be more "precise" than on a double bass with no frets.

I'm not positive about the jazz bass, but if I recall correctly, it was released as the bass counterpart to the jazzmaster guitar, both of which were aimed at jazz musicians and neither ended up as widely used in jazz as fender had intended.

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I think you need to keep in mind the time when these names were conceived. Players weren't necessarily hanging out on a web forum using buzz-words like 'growl' and 'plays like buttah'... that was a time in marketing when you tended to name things for what they were intended for, or hoped people would accept it was intended for.

7. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    It's the other way around. Lol.

It was made as a Deluxe P Bass, but renamed Jazz Bass as a comercial name. It was called that way because of the thinner neck and stuff like that, sort of a "bass for real, demanding musicians". That's what I know.

8. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    the precision bass was called so because Leo Fender believed the frets would enable people to achieve more precise intonation, the Jazz bass was named the Jazz Bass as Leo Fender felt that its narrower neck would appeal more to jazz musicians than the Precisions wider, chunkier neck

9. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Ok, that makes sense :)

10. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Ultimately it's all just marketing. At least Precision seems to have some thought given to it in the same way as Telecaster, after that it was probably "think of a name, any name".

Sorry feeling quite cynical right now:eyebrow:

11. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    Neat. Never knew the info behind the names. Thanks!

12. jcullen24

jcullen24

Apr 11, 2009
    Denton, TX
    My thanks also! :bassist:

13. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    That is indeed the case.

The Broadcaster was identified with the radio age, when Gretsch staked their claim with the Broadkaster drums conflict, Fender moved to the television age with the Telecaster.

The Strato-caster was the space age equivalent, broadcasting or telecasting to the stratosphere.

The Precision was so named after what its frets could do, viz. allow precision note playing on a bass.

The Jazzmaster and Jazz bass were issued at the same time to offer slabs to jazzers. Joe Pass was an 'endorser'.

The student line instruments were named after animals. Jaguar, Mustang, Bronco....

The Coronado I suspect, was named after Corona.

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Leo Fender was against the name Jazz Bass. It was chosen by sales moots.

15. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    :) Haha.

I think it may have something to do with Coronado island/peninsula in California.

It translates to "Crowned" in Spanish, so it could have something to do with a crown-shaped body or the body binding...I'm not sure. English Lit. and interpretations were never my strongest areas. Throw me some non-Euclidian geometry any day.

16. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    So a fretless precision is more of an approximate bass. Isn't that an oxymoron? Fretless precision:ninja:

17. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The Precision moniker also reflected it's more precise tone without the harsh overtones of an upright that Leo Fender found objectionable.

18. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Yes, it is.

19. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    No, the oxymoron is the approximate fretted one. You can be much more precise on a fretless.

20. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    Fretless fanboys :ninja: