1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The NBA stick a fork in it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by burk48237, Aug 12, 2012.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The Howard trade, in all sincerity how does the GM of Orlando stand up in a press conference and say we just traded the best young big man in the game, plus Jason Richardson, Christ Duhon, Earl Clark and got this:

Yes I know they also got five protected draft choices,

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...akers-magic-trade.ap/index.html?sct=nba_t2_a4

And where is Howard Stern? He voided the Chris Paul trade, well this was Christmas in LA and coal in Orlando's stockings.

Let's face it the league should just pare down to six teams. Miami, LA Lakers, Two in NYC, Boston, and Chicago. Those are apparently the only places Stern is interested in having stars play or competitive teams, Oh, and OK city, you better win next season, because Westbrook will soon whine like Howard or Lebron until he can buy himself a title in a "big Market". And what are the odds that a big name free agent will want to stay in or go to an Ok city? San Antonio, Memphis or Detroit.

The league has become a joke, and Stern has left us this parting gift, before his retirement, a league run by it's young petulant stars. :eyebrow:

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    It was a joke for me when Stern helped Bennett move the Sonics out of Seattle.

-Mike

3. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Technically, Stern was operating the Hornets and made a decision for the benefit of the NBA controlled team. I'm a Lakers fan and was angry, but ultimately it was better for the Hornets. Now, I don't see a way he can veto this, as he is not involved. I didn't see him taking ANY action at all when it came to the true first event in the now "team superbuilding/collusion" league, the Miami Heat. If he was going to ward off this type of competitive environment, he should have started then. Now he does not have a leg to stand on.

The owners ratified last years CBA, and theoretically, all should be able to compete fairly under it - they share TV money etc... That's what last years CBA was all about. You can't really fault the teams for the city they live in.

Dwight Howard wanted to be close to entertainment, LA will fit him. And I for one am really happy he's here!

4. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Actually, it's DAVID Stern. Howard Stern only seems to be everywhere! Or am I missing something?

5. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    LOL hilarious

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Up here in pdx we're already taking up a collection to get Nick Batum to give Dwight "the treatment" ...

7. I don't think you understand the trade. Orlando is trying to bottom out, they got prospects, cap relief and picks. Exactly what they said they wanted all along.

Getting back Bynum or Pau just makes Orlando an 8th seed which is worse than being the Bobcats. Orlando wants to tank and draft Shabazz or Wiggins/Parker next year.

8. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Ding, ding, ding!

And at least Memphis got Marc Gasol for Paul Gasol, the only thing Orlando got was a seat at the bottom of the standings, and a chance for a big salary dump.

That's the problem with todays NBA, you can't rebuild on the fly, you have to literally lottery suck for at least two seasons. Hope your in the right lottery (about every three years) when a truly great talent becomes available. And hope he doesn't bolt for Miami, LA or wherever before you can put great talent around him. Those six big market teams I mentioned will get big talent regardless. But the small market teams have a small window, and then they have to re-load. How long before Cleveland is relevant again? Detroit?

And where is Howard Stern when you need him? On a satellite radio show D@$* it!:D

9. I know EVERYONE, brings them up, but OKC is an example of this process working. Not every team has the unluckiness of Detroit. Cleveland is also on it's way.

What Dwight did was atrocious, he held the franchise hostage and literally couldn't have cared less about the fans that had supported him throughout his career, but this is the exception, not the norm. Melo and Dwight does not a pattern make.

10. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Actually OK City and Cleveland had to get REALLY bad to make any progress. You can't win in this league without a superstar with a great promo deal. And trying to get better with a few good pieces just doesn't cut it anymore.

I think Melo, Paul, Howard, Bosh, and James do indeed a pattern make. Who is the last major free agent star that demanded a trade to Detroit? Cleveland? Ok City? Portland? Memphis? Even San Antonio in it's prime didn't have free agents stars lining up to go there. How long does Westbrook stay in OK city or Kevin Love in MN? And with the officiating in the league so tilted towards those who sell the most Jerseys, it's pretty hard to win without one of those stars.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Don't you have a similar complaint about the NHL Burk?

-Mike

12. aborgman

aborgman Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Ypsilanti, MI 48197
    When your choices are:

1) This crappy trade
    2) He leaves for nothing in return

#1 starts looking a lot better.

Those were the only two realistic possibilities, and I think Orlando would rather have what they're going to get than what they got when Shaq left.

Completely different situation. Stern, acting as owner of the Hornets because the league owned them, turned down that trade.

Stern has no ability to do ANYTHING about this trade unless it violates league rules.

13. aborgman

aborgman Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Ypsilanti, MI 48197
    Sure it's a pattern... but it's a pattern that dates to those players being in diapers.

Places like Portland and Salt Lake City have ALWAYS had to overpay to attract free agents, and place like Miami and New York don't. That will never change, and there is nothing the NBA can do about it.

14. I know this exact same rant re: the NBA has been going on for years.

Damn that Howard Stern!

15. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Was certain this thread was gonna be about the US Olympic basketball team!

16. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    No my NHL complaint is really the opposite. Both leagues have a problem in that they punish good general managers who can accumulate great role players thru the draft. But in the NHL the cap (too hard) it's a prescription for parody to the point of ridiculousness. In the NBA the cap (too soft) doesn't do anything to keep small markets competitive.

Also the NBA has a much bigger officiating problem. Since stars get the whistles, good teams without a superstar get hurt in big games. While the NHL has some similar issues and Bettman is indeed a joke, it's not as pronounced across the board.

The problem in the NHL is it's a crapshoot no matter how good you do developing players because you're going to lose have of them to a hard cap, but at least they spread out because of that hard cap. In the NBA, they just wait till the first round of FA and demand to be traded to great party town. I can guarantee you OK city will not be relevant in two years.

17. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

The fans wont support 1st looser teams. Ultimately the small market teams will fold due to lack of interest and the NBA will be left with what it's heading towards anyway... 6 or 8 super teams. The rest of the NBA talent will go over seas and flood that market.

I've never really been anything other than a casual NBA fan, and I'm less of one now.

18. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Exactly, it's gotten worse and worse since Stern decided to make it a Stars league instead of promoting the virtues of great team basketball. It's a great game when its played by a team with a great point guard. But now it's all about drive and flop.

I suspect that in fifteen years we will be down to a six-eight team league.The league want the 2 NYC teams, Chicago, LAL, Miami, Chicago, Philly and that's about it.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I would blame ESPN/NBC/TV for the problems in the NBA as much as I would blame Stern. If a guy goes out and has 12 assists, 18 points, a couple rebounds and one turnover he'll get buried in the highlights by the guy who had six turnovers, one assist, and a couple dynamic dunks.

I don't follow the NBA much anymore, but I think they are down to just a small handful of guys who play basketball basketball. Once they are gone, it will be a bunch of highlight driven mega athletes looking for the best city to play in for off court exposure.

-Mike

20. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I have to agree Mike.