1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The NBD that...alas....wasn't

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheAnalogKid, May 24, 2012.

1. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    A bit unbecoming of me to start a thread TB, but I had a little disappointment in an online order a few days ago. I was reticent about posting on this, but call it a catharsis, I guess. Disclaimer for members and mods: The following is a recount of the pitfalls of online ordering and the resulting SNAFU, for informative purposes only. I am not going to bash the retailer; rather, it shall remain nameless. It was, however, a major retailer with hundreds or more storefronts, etc., etc.

I have been having GAS pains for a Squier CV P-Bass in Sonic Blue. A sales rep found one on the east coast. There was a photo and every detailed description. I ordered it on the spot. May 22 was my expected NBD. After about a week, I was informed it arrived on-time...Great! I went to the store (per my order request it be shipped there) to pick it up.

After unboxing it right there, I noticed gig bag was not for a bass. Curiosity told me to open the bag which revealed a Squier Strat, likely with a refinished body to approximate Sonic Blue. I think it was a Franken-Strat, to be honest. I immediately requested a return and refund on my CC to the bewildered sales rep after informing him that the ordered product was incorrect.

The kicker was the incorrect item was entered into the Used Equipment system as a bass; some wacky product code thing. I jokingly stated that the shipping store should know the difference between a guitar and a bass and that any potential buyer would have had the same outcome as did I. I don't know how they mixed up a Squier bottom-level strat for a CV P-bass; probably saw the body color and thought "Close Enough".

In their good graces, they are offering me the same price on a comparable item, should it become available. I have not decided whether or not to take them up on it. Oh yeah...another thing: that incorrect item (the Strat) is now listed on their website, at the Seattle location, as...wait for it...a Classic Vibe P-Bass in Sonic Blue!

In the words of Brian Griffin: "Uh...wow!"

2. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    *facepalm*

:rollno:

3. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    So what happened to the bass that was in the photo?

4. TheAnalogKid

Dec 7, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Good Question...I have no idea. I am trying to find out myself. I believe it was sold, and the photo not deleted. Car dealerships do this all the time with internet listings: they list a vehicle, with photos, details, and price, but when it comes time to see it in person, the sales rep says "Oh, we sold it just a few days (or a week) ago." I have seen this firsthand.

5. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    Gotta love Guitar Center

6. TheAnalogKid

Dec 7, 2011
    Tucson, AZ

I didn't say that...I did not say that!
    yuk, yuk! :D

At any rate, I took a gamble and maybe it was the universe telling me that it wasn't meant to be just yet.

7. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    I wonder if some poor beginner guitarist out there is wondering why his guitar is so big and only has four strings. ;)

Hope you get the bass you wanted! Could always try MF, I guess. A strange story indeed.

8. Some famous future bass player- "well i was going to play a guitar , but when I ordered one a bass came in the mail , the rest is history"

9. spiritbass

spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    What makes this suck even more is that you could have bought the one I had in the classifieds here last week, but you thought you already had one snagged... :rollno: I'll say it again - Squier should NOT have discontinued this color!