1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

the new AI Ten2

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jweiss, Apr 4, 2009.

1. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
  2. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Do another search in this section. They actually can retro fit your head to fit into a combo for a price.

3. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    oops! I see it, sorry my bad.

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    FYI, pricing for the combo and cab has been announced effective today:

TEN² Combo - List $1699, street preorder price is $1399 until June 30th, after which it will be $1539

TEN² Speaker Cabinet - List $699, street preorder price is $569 until June 30th, after which it will be $629

5. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    Thanks Bob!

Sorry if I missed it in the other thread, but have you had a chance to hear the new cab yet?

Cheers,

Jeff

6. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    I played the prototype in my home, but I prefer to wait until I get a production model before going into too much detail. The prototype cabinet, as it is custom molded, is heavier and has a slightly different character than the final cabinet - not a huge impact, but I still think it wise to wait, and I also would rather get it up on stage, too.

We were able to compare the TEN² side by side with the new Coda+ (both having the Cabrio Docking System) and a current Series III Contra. The additional power/headroom is nice, and the TEN² is really a departure from the original Contra design. If you imagine how it might sound you might be right ;) -- the more in yer face sort of forward facing conventional cabinet but with the soundstage you get from the downfiring woofer. Same sort of neutral and uncolored sound Acoustic Image built their reputation on. It's still not a rock and roll amp (4x10 players need not apply), but I think it will bring a lot of the folks who preferred a more direct sound back to the fold.

I'm looking forward to getting a production model on an acoustic and electric gig.

7. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    Thanks for that info. I really like the idea of a small, lightweight 2x10 when the Wizzy10 isn't enough (and when I don't want to drag along an Acme Low B2).

Keep us posted!

Cheers,

jeff

8. LarryR

LarryR

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Just heard about the TEN².

My first thought: I wish the front 10 had an attenuator so you could balance the level with the downward 10. Instead, you could just face it towards the wall creating both a horizontal and vertical reflection. In theory it seems interesting.

OT: I've used cabs before in that way for slab gigs. You'd be amazed how much bass you hear.

9. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Interesting idea Larry! I sometimes move the bass into the corner of my practice room and it really blossoms there. I would think that the characteristics of the walls in a specific club could drastically change the sound depending on what the surfaces were made of. IMHO the addition of the front firing speaker was to add clarity to the floor speaker, since for some of us, that was what the Contra lacked. The attenuator is a very nice idea. I wonder if AI ever considered that?

Ric

10. MLysh

MLysh

Oct 11, 2007
    MD/DC/VA
    I've used an SWR baby blue (2x8) in a ten piece wedding band in just this exact way. First time I did it, the guitar player looked at me like I was nuts. He soon changed his mind. Only worked optimally for me in the right room, though.

11. ezrs

ezrs

Sep 24, 2008
    bob, when you say a real "departure" from the contra, what do you mean? in terms of tone or how the sound is distributed? i assumed the latter, but since i have a contra i am very curious.

12. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    The Contra is not "in your face" like the most common speaker cabinets are, and that doesn't only have to do with the speaker configuration. The Corus, with a different woofer than the Contra, actually sounds more like a cabinet with a forward-facing woofer.

The TEN², with its forward facing woofer has more of the "in your face" direct sound. Some here and elsewhere comment that the downfiring arrangement of the Contra doesn't work for them in their gig environments — perhaps this will, along with the higher sound pressure levels it offers.

I can't wait to get one out on a gig.

13. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    So Bob, two months later, have you gotten one out on a gig? On your product page you say something like "having put it through its paces"....

-- Peter Wilson

14. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I am really curious about how this amp will sound. I haven't tried an AI cab since the original iteration. I love the heads but just have not been onboard with the downfiring thing. However, if this amp will do a small electric bass gig, I would love to check out.

15. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    I have taken one for use in two 5 string electric bass situations; sorry, no URB gigs yet (very slim this season).

In neither case did I stress the amp, both were low to moderate volume situations, one a blues band rehearsal, the other a casual outdoor bayside open patio party gig on a concrete surface w/two guitars & drums. I really need to get it out in a more typical club situation as neither of these are average settings; my Contra would have handled either.

In addition to the two above experiences, some "Living Room observations" are that the whole presence of the amp seems a bit thicker, and I don't mean fatter, but more firm. The front firing woofer obviously presents a more direct presence, but it still is reminiscent of a cab with a rear port, given the character of its downfiring woofer.

It's very impressive, and as with the other combos, it puts out high levels of sound despite its modest stature. I need more stage time with it for a fuller assessment, both an URB situation and a higher volume situation that stresses its capabilities.

16. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I am not really expecting it to replace a big electric rig (2x12's), that is unreasonable IMO. However, if it has a more direct upright sound and enough volume to do a small/medium electric gig (i.e., close to what a Markbass 121P 1x12 combo will put out), I think it will be a nice small rig. With the Cabrio setup, you could have the Ten2 and a cab for kill volume (I dunno, Schroder 2x12 or Epi 3x10) and that's it.

17. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    It's this 'Jekyll and Hyde' potential which has me eyeing the new Ten2--that and the built-in plate reverb etc, etc.

BTW. Does anyone know how long the Clarus+ section of this new amp has been around?

Thanks.

18. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Nearly nothing new here, really, it is essentially a Series III Focus 2 in a different chassis.

19. dar512

dar512

Mar 25, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Aren't these supposed to be shipping now?

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    A student I hung with for a minute at the Aebersold workshop said that he has one with him, and that I could check it out if I wanted. Don't know if there'll be time since tomorrow's the last day, but apparently they're shipping.