Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The new Ashdown Mark King head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ostrzoskrzydly, Jan 20, 2004.

1. ostrzoskrzydly

ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    Has anyone seen it at NAMM ? Maybe tried it ?
    Any impressions/comments ?

2. ostrzoskrzydly

ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    ba-dump
    was it even at their booth ?

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    It was there.I played a Bass and a Banjo Bass thru it and I really dug it,it was as clear as a CD recording and it seemed to be very versatile.it was going thru an 8x10 Cab.the sound of this amp is a little hotter that the other Ashdown Amps like I said I really dug it and placed my order for one.but I will have to wait until March when the new Shipment of Ashdown Amps will be arriving in the U.S.

4. ostrzoskrzydly

ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    sounds great :cool:
    what would you compare it to ?

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    It pretty much has it's own sound.it wasn't to glassy or to thin sounding,a nice even bottom response and from spending a descent amount of time with it it seems to be a well balanced amp overall.I think if you're into trying to get a clear and even sound live that matches what you may have recorded to disc this amp I'm more than sure will deliver.

6. ostrzoskrzydly

ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    thanks!
    i'll try hard to get ahold of one and test it extensively.
    anyone else dare to provide some opinions ?

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Where are you located?

8. ostrzoskrzydly

ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    I'm from Europe - with no music gear shows in proximity :(
    Have to wait till they get to shops, or maybe arrange a session with the importer... hmmm....

9. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    I've been helping a friend out here in VA with his store and he is now an Ashdown dealer. MK500 number 3 (1st in USA) came in and needless to say, it's awesome. I tried a Spector CR4 into it with a Yorkville 410 and it was headroom central. I was actually surprised at how non-sterile it was for 100% solid state. The graphic was nice and sensitive so tremendous boosting and cutting was not necessary. I still do not really get the harmonic emphasis control at this point. I think I'm sold and if I can't get this one, I'll get the next !! I think one of these at 500w (4ohms) into two GS112's and having 1000w burst power on tap will be a killer rig. Maybe a nice tube comp would round out the sound even more but being assured a huge reserve of clean power is on tap is really cool. Oh also, it's not very heavy or deep so it should fit in a variety of racks. I'm sold. I hope I can take this one !!

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I got an E-mail From Mark Gooday(Ashdown) earlier this pass week and was Informed that he had sent mine out that Week:)it'really is a great amp.

11. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    I read on the Ashdown board that the MK-500 will also be available as a non-signature model (with gold face plate) and as a rack preamp. AFAIK these aren't shipping yet.

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    From the words of Mark Gooday(Ashdown)

" YES we are doing this and the PRE AMP"
    comes with pre and post EQ Digital recording outs as well.!!

13. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Holy Frijoles !!!!!!!!! Man and I need a recording pre for bass with dig outs sooooooo bad. Oh man, I wonder when they plan to release this one ?????

Thanks for the info JAUQO !!!!

14. I can't fathom the thought of Mark King playing on any sort of amp besides a Trace Elliot.

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Mark Gooday the owner of Ashdown was the founder and former owner of Trace Elliot,and when he started Ashdown about 6 years ago it shoudn't be no surprise that his Good Friend Mark King would become a part of Ashdown.

and for those Interested
    List Prices for the MK500 are around $1600 and the non signature model is about $150 more.

16. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Barboursville, WV
    So does anybody think that the MK500 sounds anything like the Trace Elliots? I'm looking for a replacement for my aging Trace.

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
  18. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I saw a "blemished" one online recently for about $750...

19. I seem to remember reading a quote by Mark Gooday to the effect of "this is the amp that we were always trying to build back in my 'green' days" in reference to the MK500.

As for warmth, my keys player, who also used to play bass, commented that the King head sounded just like my Eden WT-300 for those first few minutes that the Eden was powered up. The head is super clean, but never harsh or sterile. Also, all analog components...