Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the NEW BASS high

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, May 4, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    How long does it last for you?

On a really good bass it can last up to six months for me, then it starts to wane and by a year I want another fix.

New crappy bass usually lasts a week or two - I won't be buying any more of them though, I hope. :)

I've got my first double dose on hand here and I'm getting all stupid silly. I just got my first Bongo only a few months ago, I'm still high on it, and i have another coming in a couple of days... hope I don't OD.

Let's talk about bass highs.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My '78 P is the same way for me. It's old, it's heavy, and once I put a Hipshot and a Badass, it feels like my bass, but it still has the new bass vibe. I'm never parting with it.

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I'm still getting it off my Metro and I got it way back in Augest! :p

4. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I still get it from my ASAT. I got her last January. I think it has something to do with all tones available. I must admit that the high is not as great as it used to be, but I still don't want another bass.

It's great while it lasts.

5. I'm starting to come down off of my 00' Fender USA j deluxe which I got just before the new year. It's my first higher end bass so i was on a high for a real long time. But now that she's starting to come down I can already feel myself starting to itch for it again...I hear that those Sterlings are real good stuff...

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Depends on the bass. Cheapo basses can last about a week. High end basses never end :-D. I'm still crazy about my MIA fender and Warwick, and I'm loving my Alembic.

7. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I got my BTB1000 last July and I'm still riding that high.

In fact, the only bass I've even thought about wanting since I got this one has been the six-string version of the same bass.

I'm happy!

8. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    I get my first bongo next week, and i cannot wait. It is driving me nuts!! I have a feeling that will keep me satisfied for many months to come

9. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I've had my bass 20 years and every time I pick it up I'm amazed at how great it feels and how good it sounds. I'd get another one, but why? I've never played better. So love truly can last!!!

10. Hey Only, great avatar!!!!
    In 18 years of keeping/breeding reptiles I've never gotten tagged in the face, but if I ever do I hope I look as stupid as that guy!!1 (sorry if that's you :p )

11. I'd probably OD if I got ahold of a Warwick SSII old school style.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I still get high from the Sadowsky I've owned for a month.

I still get high from my first five-string, a Fender Roscoe Beck 5 that I bought 5 years ago.

I still get high from a MusicMan Sabre I bought new back in 1989... even though I don't play it anymore!

As for other basses I've owned: the high can wear off in a year, a month, a day, depending. But sometimes it takes time for me to appreciate a particular instrument... in other words the new bass buzz can be delayed.

13. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    The best way to make myself practice is to get my bass out and put it on a stand near me in the living room while watching TV. Invariably I end up playing it most of the night if its there cause it just looks so sexy sitting there.

Its a year old :)

14. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I got my vigier a month ago or so, and i cant belive how good it sounds with no preamp on my rig and using old strings, its hard to stop playing when you get that nice treeble growl so easily.
    Im getting an SVP-pro next week, its gonna be great to play bass.

15. My Geddy Lee Jazz gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside everytime I pick it up.

16. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Mine last until the UPS or Fedex driver shows up again..... ussually with in a day or two :D

17. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Thanks! It's not me, though. I know nothing about reptiles other than what they taught in biology. It's just a picture I found on the Internet that I'm pretty sure is the best picture ever taken.

18. I have an anticipation high that's lasted since the end of last December. I'm 2 maybe 3 weeks away from getting the bass. I'll be grooving on it for a long time to come I suspect.

19. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    For my last bass, a Peavey TL-5, the high wore off quick. I noticed a couple issues with it and sold it within six months. My current bass is great (Dingwall Voodoo Z1). I really enjoy playing it; all the practices I go two are too short (two hours just isn't enough!) I also just started taking some lessons, so with a growth plan on my mind I have a lot of good playing and practicing to look forward too.

This hasn't stopped me from wanting other basses. I still need a Kubicki X-Factor, just because it's one of the coolest basses ever made. Another Steinberger would be nice; the Spirit fretless at my local shop would be perfect for taking with me places I don't want to haul an axe as expensive as my Z1. I think that's it--for now...

Eric