Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The new bb604 is a GREAT bass for the money..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    The title pretty much says it all :) I picked up a new yamaha bb604 bass for $329 yesterday and it's a LOT of bass for the money. The nathan east preamp is really nice and I love the adjustable mid cut toggle. Lots of growl and tones that are hard to beat for under a grand. Check em out :) Btw, no pics, but mine's the wine red burst color. Looks nice. Anyone else have any opinions on these new 2002 yamahas? I'm pleasantly surprised.

2. I've been wondering how the controls on the new Yamahas work. . . I own a Nathan East stomp box, and was interested in how they put the box's controls onboard a bass. . . .

3. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, the controls are kind of neat on this bass. I can get a great finger and slap tone with the flip of a switch. It has the standard blend and volume knobs, then it has bass boost/cut, treble boost/cut, and a mid knob described as going from "bright to dark". This mid knob is only activated when the switch is pushed and is wonderful for getting 2 different useable tones fast.

4. OK. here's the big question about the bb604, despite the new preamp and j-style pickup being use in these new bb models, they're still so darn noisy!! When I tried it the other day, the problem still exists when the treble is boost or when a pickup is solo (more severe with bridge pickup).

so where do you think the problem come from? the pickups?, I hope so, because now that they are in standard j-style shape it is much easier too find a replacement comparing to their old odd-shape soapbar pickups. I hope it isn't because of the preamp or the lack of quality in the shielding of the control cavity, because Yamaha should have no excuse in making mistake in those department.

5. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    The treble hiss isn't that bad, but it does brighten the tone quite a bit so I'd expect some hiss ;) As far as the solo'd pickups, it's just the nature of the single coil pickups. I really like the slap tone I get from single coils and leave the pickup blend in the middle. It does hum solo'd, which is the case with any single coil setup (unless it's hum cancelling). All in all, I don't find it that noisy :)

Btw, I give 2 thumbs up on the shielding job. It's excellent for an instrument in this price range.

6. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand

Yeah , thats my gripe with a lot of active Basses .... the noise ! , Ive decided to go away from Batteries/preamp hiss and scooped mids that dont cut through live and hotrod my J Bass , fully shielded and noisless , even under dimmed lights , plenty of honk too , as " loud " as my Active Bass . Good quality passives are the way to go for me now . BB604 looks good on paper though , probably a great lower mid market Bass .