The new Bin Laden audio tape

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by David Watts, Feb 12, 2003.

1. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    Can someone explain to me how this audio tape strengthens the argument for a link between Saddam Hussein and Al Qaeda?

My understanding is that the tape actually criticizes the Hussein government, and lumps it in with the likes of our own.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Well, I only gave the tape a 2, Mr. Clark. The melody sucks and you can't dance to the beat.

No - seriously, it's the old, "My enemy's enemy is my ally." While Bin Laden and the boys can't stomach the secular orientation of Hussein, they see him as the lesser of two evils and support anything that weakens the effort to take him out.

From what I heard, the tape said something to the effect of, "We don't really endorse this guy but he's preferable to the US and its allies." At least Saddam's a Muslim in words, if not in deeds.

Of course, if they succeeded, Hussein would be probably next on the "hit list." And Hussein isn't too stupid to know that. It's a fragile alliance.

Plus, as Powell pointed out, Iraq tolerates an Al Qaeda training base in northern Iraq. Admittedly, anything pretty much goes in that part of Iraq but Hussein could take it out if he wanted to. And there are Al Qaeda operatives in Baghdad.

After all, the West wasn't exactly carzy about Stalin/Russia as an ally in WWII, but the ends justified the means.
  3. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    This is the primacy of domestic politics. The "al Qaeda" base belongs to a Kurdish group of Muslim fanatics and Saddam allows them as they cause trouble for the Kurdish autonomous region in Northern Iraq. This should not be confused with the sort of centralized training facilities in Afghanistan.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Good point Dan. But the flip side it also makes him a juicier target for us because he could squash it in a minute. Hell, it was there on the screen during Powell's UN presentation.

I think I'd much rather face the Kurds than the US military.

Tolerance is acceptance.
  5. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    I still don't understand how powell can get away with saying that the tape strengthens the al qaeda link. As far as I am concerned, the argument is super weak and just makes the US govt. look like they will say anything to legitimize a war.
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

I admit that it was somewhat of a confusing, paradoxical statement by Bin Laden. The part that seems to indicate the link to Iraq is when he refers to "our brothers in Iraq" fighting against the US. The only people in Iraq that are we might soon be fighting are the members of the Iraqi military. The whole thing up until he called Hussen an infidel smacked of partnership. Then the infidel statement just seems to kind of throw everything off. It makes me wonder if that was a calculated contradiction devised to throw more confusion and disagreement into the whole NATO thing.

brad cook
  7. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ah yes, Osama's new album. Anyone know when it comes out?

BTW, shouldn't this be in Recordings? :D
  8. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Does it come on vinyl?
  9. I kinda dig the track featuring 50 Cent. Fred Durst's one just outright sucks.
  10. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Dig that Fiedly solo on track 33,sorta reminds me of
    Victor W.:bassist: ;)
  11. man hes old news, i think there will just be some more war and killing that nobody actually gives two hoots about but then they say "oh my its terrible" and give the U.S. more excuses to bomb the hell out of the third world, who cares if we all die, just more reason to practice them bass solos more, either the end of the world is upon us, or this is just some dam media bullplop that doesnt mean anything to anyone. im bored of it, just tell the people that are into war to #$%^ off