Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The new BTBs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Has anyone tried one of these Bartolini equiped Ibanez BTB series basses? I curious to find out how they sound.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'm going to go try one tomorrow.....

3. Damian Coccio

Damian Coccio Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2002
    USA
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Guitars
    I had a BTB 1005 for 2 weeks. IT was the ~$1000 one with the mahogony core and flamed maple top and back. The tone was great (on the bridge pickup) and the B string was very solid, but I ended up retuning it for several reasons:

The neck pickup really lacked the deep low end I am used too. The neck was too flat and had excessive buzz past the 16th fret (the truss rod was set correctly). The fret markers (it was fretless) actually were raised slightly above the rosewood fretboard causing problems. The rosewood IMO is too soft for fretless unfinished.

I exchanged it for a spector NS5CRFM + $27. A better instrument for the money IMO.

I think BTBs are OK basses, but the fretless I described ended up getting replaced by an old vintaqe fender P neck on a J body which blows the BTB away. I paid $200 for that one.

Good Luck.