1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The new Burger King

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Gotta see if it's just me here. Has Burger King gone completely insane? I'm a grownup, and that guy scares the crap out of me. He completely freaks me out. If I were a little kid I'd have to change the channel every time a burger king commercial came on. I'm sure I'd have nightmares with that guy chasing me. Just like I did with the mole people (baldy heads as we called them) that came out of the sewer in the old superman series. Anyone remember that?

So... does the new Burger King freak you out? Do you think this is the worst advertising idea any company has ever come up with? Or is it just me?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think he is a bit wierd. He hangs out in places that make people very uncomfortable, and always has a sandwich in his back pocket. If that doesn't scream serial killer, i don't know what does.

3. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    The "new" Burger King is the same as the old Burger King. It sucks. Bad.

4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm more worried about where he's pulling that sandwich FROM! it's still steaming!!!:bag:

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    There's a theory in marketing that a commercial doesn't have to be good, but it has to be memorable. Given all the discussion I hear about the king, it might be working.

Regardless, that thing scares the bejezzus out of me. Almost as bad as those Quiznos "we love the subs" rats. Now, that was a disturbing commercial.

6. Someone needs to take that freak out.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

For your viewing pleasure:

http://www.rathergood.com/moon_song/

8. padgettohio

padgettohio

Apr 13, 2006
    Cincinnati
    That's funny, I was just thinking about posting the same question after seeing someone's Avatar featuring the King. He's creepy. I get a little wierded out when I see him in commercials, but for some reason I can't look away, and I look forward to seeing him again. I need serious help....

One day he's gonna kill us all; he'll poison us with those steaming butt burgers.....

9. that wake up with the king one freaks me out i mean what the a dude and why the heck is dressed like that and why is he looking at me like that

10. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I love the King.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I love the King as well. The commercials are funny.

So Joe, would you rather have Hootie than the King???

[​IMG]

-Mike

12. One of my friend's bands did a hardcore punk version of the tender crisp bacon cheddar ranch song:meh:

13. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    The King is awesome... but he'd scare the crap outta me if he just popped up like he does in those commercials.

Remember the commercial where he had a breathing battle with Darth Vader? LOL!

14. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    +1

He is evil and insidious. Tempts people as the snake tempted adam and evil. He is in the guise of a man who is kindly and trustworthy, yet at the same time, something isn't right. He's been seen fraternizing with Darth Vader. (which was my favorite BK commercial, where you hear Darth's breathing, then the King was breathing-open mouth style-, and then they synchronized their breathing).

I'd love to see a commercial where the king basically drives up to McDonalds, walks in, snaps Ronald's neck, looks at all the people there, gives them sandwiches, and drags Ronald out by his big red shoes.

15. +1.

If your commercial doesn't step on toes, but stirs conversation, it's a success.

Forget The King for a moment; does anyone remember that extremely strange Burger King commercial during The Super Bowl, in which girls were dressed as hamburger patties, tomatos, onions, cheese, et cetera, then began piling up on top of each other at the end? :rolleyes:

I think BK's latest ads are going for shock value.

Mike

16. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    :D

In all seriousness though, I wonder what they're thinking? Their main competion is McDonalds. I always marvelled at the brilliance of McDonalds advertising. I think it's absolute genius. A friendly clown on the commercials, a play place for the kids, and all the other things they do to appeal to kids... THEN, they put up giant golden arches that even a preschooler can recognize. Don't have to read or anything. You could be on a highway and a kid can see arches 10 blocks away. If a Burger King was 10 blocks away you wouldn't know it, nor a Taco Bell or any other fast food place for that matter. It's no mystery to me why McDonalds is one of the biggest corporations in America.

SO now Burger King competes with a plastic monster to scare the kids? Hmmm... "Hey kids, wattaya want tonight, McDonalds or Burger King!?!??!"

By default I'd have to say that BK has much better food than McDonalds. The sher fact that they're still in business has to prove that. :) I"m a vegetarian so I can't say fer sure.

17. I love the new BK ads.

18. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    The King sees this thread.

and he does not approve.

19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    oh, and i'd LOVE to see someone photoshop The King's head onto V from V for Vendetta.

(hint, hint) ;)

20. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    No matter what we think, this advertising campaign is a success. This thread is proof of it.