The New Burns Basses???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickbass, Apr 22, 2003.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Has anyone played or does anyone know much about the Burns basses that have been resurrected from their "Burns of London" days when they were considered the best electric guitars/basses made in Europe by many???

What little I've been able to find says that, in spite of being made in Korea nowadays, they are even better than before for a medium-priced instrument. Their "Brian May Sig" guitar even won "Guitarist Magazine's" "Best New Guitar of the Year Award" in 2001.

I tried out an original Burns Bison in the late 60's and found that it's true what everyone says about them --- their pickups make them really special. However, I don't know if the pups on the new Burns are anything "special." I still love their cosmetics and the "Wild Dog" option on the tone knob.

Any input is much appreciated.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I really have no useful information to add, but I felt the need to say that that may be the worst-looking bass I've ever seen, although I'd love to try it to see what sorts of sounds it makes.
  3. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have some records of the old dutch prog-band Ekseption where I think the bassist used a Burns... I'll check them out and report back to you, rick..
  4. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    MR.BURNS makes basses,owner of the nuclear plant and homer's boss makes his own line of basses,WOW what will he think of next ?how can i get one? do i have to go directly to SPRINGFIELD?
  5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I'm pretty sure that the bass player from "Oasis" uses a Burns Bison.
    For the money, the new Burns are pretty amazing.
    From what I've seen the build quality is VERY high, and they do have a very unique "fat" sound.
    The only thing that actually puts me off buying one is that bloody awful "scroll" headstock.
    If you can live with that, you get an awful lot of Bass for the money - much more than say, an MIM Fender (And I'm a Fender Player!).

6. Fluke

Jul 20, 2002
    So how does it sound? I'm guessing most are gonna say "very 60's" but with the 3 pickups there has to be some variety.
  7. rickbass

You're correct, Paul. As a matter of fact, I think the "real" Andy Bell, (not the TB member who calls himself "AndyBell"), stopped by here a while back and mentioned that he loved the original Burns bass he acquired. Collectors are all over the originals whenever one shows up for sale once every blue moon.

I haven't seen the new ones but the originals were exquisite.
  8. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Rick ,I have to admit curiosity as to why you like these basses. Knowing what I do about you and your wood addiction I would think this might be the last bass you were interested in.

Nostalgia ? Collectible ?

Just curious.

9. rickbass

The body design/lines with the stilleto horns just always said "rock n' roll...pull out all the stops" to me, Don. The paint jobs on the orginals put Fender solid colors to shame. They had a depth that's hard to describe.

Plus, the originals sounded bitchin"!

Then, you're right -there's the "nostalgia" factor, when the only other relatively "cool" choices for many of us were limited in the late 60's to Gibson/Goya/Fender/Magnatone/Hagstrom/Vox. Anything British was "cool." The pup covers imprinted with "Burns of London" just added to the cachet.

(Ricks were rarely seen nationally at that time and were pretty much unknown even though Dave Davies of the Kinks played one). Hofners were only cool because of the McCartney associaton...the violin-body didn't look "dangerous" by any means.

Playing a Guild/Gretsch/Ampeg/Danelectro/hollowbody Baldwin/Kay/Silvertone was considered, in my world, to be like scr**ing with your socks on.

And owning the Japanese stuff, like Teisco/Lindell, put you in a leper colony.

The Burns "Wild Dog" knob selection just put them over the top.
  10. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Like it or don't like it, the new ones don't have the scroll headstock.

The body is pretty large, and the one I picked up was fairly heavy.
  11. i really like the look of the bison - looks like a pawnshop prize. i'd like to try one out.