Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The new cabs are on the way!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NOLA Bass, Apr 27, 2005.

1. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Well, I broke down and spent the money. I ordered a new set of Bergantino cabs today. I got the HT210S and EX112S. I thought about the HT322 or the Schroeder 210112, but the portability of the two cabs (both about 50#) was worth a little more in the long run. The sound in the store was magnificent with Ampeg, EBS, Aguilar, and Ashdown heads. I'm probably going to complete the new rig with a GK1001RB due to not blowing the budget (I loved the EBS but that really blows the budget, and I'm worried about reliability with the Ashdowns). Kudos the Evan Sheeley and the staff at Bass Northwest in Seattle. I spent about 2 hours in there while on a business trip trying out amp and cab combinations, and those guys were the best. Evan gladly switched me between multiple combinations and really knows his stuff. Called today and ordered, they'll ship tomorrow. I'll post a review once they are in and I've taken them to practice.

2. Congrats man! Life is good. I look forward to hearing your review.

3. did you try the demeter cabs while you were at the store?

4. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Sweeet! Count me as another satisfied Berg And Evan customer. :)

5. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    We'll be looking forward to your review. :D

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Good choices! :cool:

7. NOLA Bass

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Being a business trip, I couldn't spend the entire day in the store!!!!! :meh: I knew I was already leaning towards the Bergantino cabs from playing through an HT322 a few times. Once he plugged me into the new setup, I was hooked. I really spent my 2 hours trying out different heads through the Berg's.

8. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Questions:

1) What did Evan say about Ashdown reliability? Still no problems with mine (knock on buffalo hide).

2) When you know more, can you comment on the 210 as a standalone? Do you really need the 12 to make the system work properly? Can you get good enough lows out of the 210? I've heard the 210 is really punchy.

3) Does the very narrow depth of the cab prohibit someone putting an amplifier on top on the box? Do you recall if the Ashdown fit on top of the 210?

4) If you don't mind, I'd like a PM of the pricing you got.

Thanks!! :hyper:

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The system definately works best with the two cabs but I've been told that the 4ohm HT210s is a killin little portable speaker. A friend who deals in Berg cabs has been using this and he's tried almost all of the cabs live. He loves the 4ohm 210.

10. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Why does it have to be 4 ohm? Is it really power hungry or something?

100 dB isn't particularly efficient, but I figured the 575W of my Ashdown would run the 10's + 12 combo ok. I see the 12 is 96 dB :meh: , am I wrong?

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm sorry. What I meant was if you're going to be using just the HT210s than it's best to get the 4ohm version to get the most out of your amp.

12. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I got to check out the new 2x10 and sub 12 last Saturday and thought they sounded great.. They are nice and portable.. I'm looking for 2 smaller cabs and either going with the single 12's or something else, just not sure yet...

13. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I'm curious as to why Jim doesn't offer the 112S in 4 ohm config. Is that possible? :meh:
    Otherwise, the only concern I would have when using the 8 ohm 210 as a separate would be adequate power.

14. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    As I understand it, the 112S, is definitely not intended to be a standalone, and since most amps only go down to 4 ohms, there isn't much use for a 4 ohm sub.

15. NOLA Bass

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Sorry it took so long to answer these questions.
    1. Evan is a big Ashdown fan, he actually uses an Ashdown head in his personal rig.
    2. I didn't try it alone in the store, but I'll give it a try like that once it arrives (Thursday May 5 according to Fed Ex).
    3. I'm not sure. You might want to email Evan or Chad at BassNW and ask them. They have the wall of amps set up so you can just go behind them and switch cables around for different configurations. I'll let you know how my setups fit when everything gets here.
    Too bad it is such a long way from Seattle to New Orleans, I can't wait to fire up the new rig!!!! :bassist:

16. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Congrats' Nola,

Rock City Guitars in Somerville has the system you just bought in stock but I haven't plugged into it yet. I'm too scared that I'll have to buy it.

17. NOLA Bass

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I would have loved to have gone a cheaper route on the cabs, but once you've played through the Bergs it is hard to settle for less!!! I went the less expensive way once with the Ampeg BSE410HLF, and wasted my money on a muddy 4-10" with an unusable horn. Most of the time, you get what you pay for!!!

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Okay, I need to hear how these cabs pan out... :D

19. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I'd like to see a review too! :)