Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The new Carvin B500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dgce, Oct 28, 2005.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Okay, this amp has been out for almost a year now. So what's the story, cool or crap?

r

2. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Cool. I have the B1500 & love it. Spend a little extra & get the 1500 & the extra headroom it provides.
    BP & BG have both done reviews & have given thumbs up on both of these amps.

3. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I would be happy if carvin would just give us more pics of their equiptment.

I'd like to see how the back of that amp is setup.

And then not use the same description for multiple products.

You're a million dollar company....take 5 minutes and write separate paragraphs for different products.....

I still want one.....

4. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2004
    In the Great Southwest
    I've got the B1500, and it's very nice. Very loud, nice tone, haven't had any problems with it so far. I would highly recommend it.

5. could someone with the amp post pics of it, becaus snobass has a good point the layout of the amp does have a big affect IMO on how easy it is to operate.

6. Maybe this will help (available on the Carvin site)
    http://www.carvin.com/manuals/76-41500B_051304.pdf

7. Blues Cat

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    It's very easy to get your sound. Flat sounds awsome. Want more bass, turn down the higher frequencies.
    The back is very nicely laid out. Everything is right where you need it. Two speakon & four 1/4" speaker outs.

[​IMG]

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I've got a B1500. Great amp, like it a lot. It has what seems a clear and true full-range sound when set flat. In particular, the highs are quick and extended without sounding harsh (at least, through an even-sounding cab like my Acme B-4). However, it's capable of some serious booty too if you want that.

I say, get the 1500 if you can afford it. Extra power is never bad, and it's not as if the 500 is all that much easier to haul around (though it is 10 lb lighter).

I don't see the problem with using most of the same copy for the B500 and the B1500. Power aside, they are pretty much identical. What would be the point of implying that they're more different than they actually are?

9. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I just feel that carvin would do itself well to put a little more content.

It's a good site, but I think they owe it to themselves to shine up a few spots.

10. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Sounds great. I also dig the simplicity of the B500/1500 front panel layout. Still, I wonder about the Carvin Redline with its extended tonal shaping abilities and that their 1000 and 600 amps are also biamp-able (the B series amps are not as far as I know).

How do you guys think the new B series compares to the old Redline series?

r

11. I think the Ampeg website is the worst at giving full technical and practical descriptions of their vast array of products.

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC

I had an R600 for a while, and I now own a B1500. I liked the R600 a bit more than some here do, but I think the B1500 is significantly better. I would say, don't get too fixated on all the knobs. The B1500's EQ is more powerful than you would think, though admittedly not as extensive as the RedLines, and you can always just add a modestly priced EQ if you want more tone shaping. I never use a compressor, so the built-in comp on the RL was of no interest to me. However, I've heard several folks who do use comps say that the RL's isn't that great--FWIW. I'm pretty "eh" about the noise gate, too. The B1500 doesn't seem that noisy to begin with, my basses are quiet enough, and I don't use any gain devices before the input. I sure wouldn't let the built-in gate be a deciding factor, but YMMV. As for biamping, for my tastes, I don't think biamping is particularly important for most bass gigging situations. When I had the RL, I preferred to use it full range anyway.

To me, the B1500 is just a better amp all around--better built, better power, better tone. The presence of more knobs on the RL doesn't change that. Biamp capability aside, there's nothing extra on the RL that you couldn't get in a better form in outboard gear if you need it.

13. santacruzom

santacruzom

Jul 22, 2004
    I also own a Red Line 600 amp that I've had for nearly 9 years, and I basically agree with everything you've written. It's an okay amp -- I never hated it, but I also never loved it. It was finicky. Sometimes, getting a good tone out of it was just not in the cards. I rarely used its compressor, its tube blend never really offered much, and the noise gate knob may have been touched twice in the 9 years I've had it. I played with amps with a much lower power rating that sounded much better at equal or even higher volumes. It also recently broke (doesn't turn on), which is why I'm now thinking about a replacement.

I'm tempted to go with the BRX series -- in particular, the BRX212 combo amp. But I only want to do this if it's a significant upgrade over my RL600. Now that I'm in a band with potential I don't want to settle for an amp that's just okay, but I also would rather not break the bank if I can help it.

14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I can't speak about the BRX212 combo, never having played it, but I think the B1500 is indeed a significant upgrade over the R600. That's just my opinion, but at least it's based on some direct experience.

The basic tone of the BRX212's amp should be similar (just less power), but I haven't yet heard for myself how that rather interesting cabinet design, with the downfiring 12", sounds in the real world. The word of mouth I heard from a couple of guys on the Carvin board was good, but of course mileage varies.

I don't know what kind of venues your band is looking to play, but if it's possible that a combo, even a good one, may not cut it ideally well, you may be better advised to get a head-and-cab rig instead of a combo. IIRC, you could go all BRX for about $1100 and up (starting with B1500 + BRX12 2-12 cab), or you might do something like pair a B1500 with an Avatar cab--dunno how much $$ that would save, though.

15. getz76

getz76

Apr 3, 2005
    Hoboken, NJ
    I owned a R1000 for a number of years. I thought it was on par with what was available at the time from Ampeg, SWR, Mesa, and GK, especially in that price range.

16. Blues Cat

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I played a large venue @ a time that I didn't have a rig. I was fixing to have to go direct & play thru blown monitors (thanks to the rappers the weekend before) when the bassplayer for the band coming on after us said if you let me put my redline +RL 410 up on stage now, I'll let you play thru it. I thought yea, this is going to be cool.
    I was really dissapointed in everything about the amp. I tweaked & pushed little white buttons for an hour during our set & couldn't get it to sound good.
    The B1500 is a completely different amp. The BRX cabs are way better than the RL, more lowend & more detail. That's been my experience w/ Carvin amps.

17. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I want one... :(

18. santacruzom

santacruzom

Jul 22, 2004
    My thing with Carvin (despite having owned both one of their amps and one of their basses) is that they tend to lack "soul." Or something. There's just this intangible quality that their products I've tried have lacked. And yet now, I'm once again tempted to get one of their amps.

I've read a lot of good reviews, but there are certainly Carvin homers out there that just have totally different tastes than I do. On the other hand, given the fact that the B series is a line that's a step-up from the Red Line (which was more "budget"), it's certainly possible that I'd be more than happy with it.

Too bad I can't just go to a guitar store and try one.

19. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

Here is a couple pictures of the back for ya. Had a few minutes and found some.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    If I didn't have Avatar 2x10 and 2x12 cabs I'd probably get the BRX 212 combo amp. It appears to have everything I need in a fairly compact and portable unit. And as far as power goes, you’re good to go with the combo as a stand alone unit but with an extended cab you’ll full 800 watts of power (which I don't really need but its nice to know its available). If I do go with the BXR (which I'll likely do) I'll probably get the B500; I really don't need more power than this. The B500 married to the Avatars should do quite nicely with both bands I play with. But If I had to start from scratch; I'd get that combo.
    r